Juli 1940

Begonnen von t-geronimo, 11 Juli 2009, 17:53:51

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

t-geronimo

Die bisher bekannten Daten sind hier zu finden:

--/>/> http://historisches-marinearchiv.de/projekte/asa/uebersicht.php
Gruß, Thorsten

"There is every possibility that things are going to change completely."
(Captain Tennant, HMS Repulse, 09.12.1941)

Forum MarineArchiv / Historisches MarineArchiv

TW

On 16-Jul-1940 at 2230 British SS CLYDE sinks a Norwegean fishery vessel numbered "SF-52" (15 grt).
From Groener DDK Vol. VIII, p.378 I know, that the sign SF means "Sogn og Fjordane fylke".
# 52 is the running number of vessel. A sign for exact homeport is missing as well as the name of
the vessel. Can anybody help ?
Sincerely, Thomas

Am 16.7.40 versenkt das brit. U CLYDE ein norweg. Fischerboot mit Kennung "SF-52" (15 BRT).
Aus Gröner DDK Bd.8, S.378 ersehe ich, dass SF die Provinz "Sogn og Fjordane fylke" bezeichnet.
# 52 ist die laufende Nummer des Bootes. Es fehlt die Bezeichnung des genauen Heimathafens
und der Name des Bootes. Kann jemand von Euch weiterhelfen?
Herzliche Grüße, Thomas

Platon Alexiades

Hello Thomas,

The vessel had actually the following letters painted on her sides: S.F.-52-S.V.
Could S.V. be a clue for her home port? Erling: any suggestions? (Vaagso?)

Platon

Erling Skjold

Hallo,
SF = Sogn og Fjordane county
SV = Township / local council / Gemeinde "Sør Vågsøy" = South Vaagsöy

SF-52-SV was in 1940 the wooden puffer (Motorkutter) Fredheim (1908/38') Fits ok with ca 15 Grt. The owner was Hans J. Oppedal.

Unfortunatelly, I don't have any details about the loss, but such fishingvessels often operated far from the coast.

Best regards,
Erling

Platon Alexiades

Hello Erling,

Thanks very much. I was sure you would come through!

Platon

Platon Alexiades

Hello Erling,

Thanks very much. I was sure you would come through! The vessel was stopped and sunk by gunfire and ramming after the four crew (including Hans Oppedal) were taken on board the submarine. The reason given was that it was feared that if they would let it go, the submarine presence might be reported to German authorities and this was at the beginning of the submarine patrol. If the encounter had occurred toward the end of the patrol, chances were that the vessel would have been allowed to return to port. I have a slight difference in position to what is reported on the ASA list: 62°19' N, 04°19' E.

Platon

TW

Die Abteilung Mittelmeer Juli 1940 wurde am 20.3.2010 nach Korrekturen von Platon überarbeitet und ergänzt.
Schönes Wochenende, Thomas

Urs Heßling

05414 / RUBIS
Zielposition mit offensichtlichem Schreibfehler 28°22' N  06°01' E (irgendwo in der Wüste Sahara, viel Sonne 8-)) statt  58°21' N  06°01' E
B-pos. with apparent writing or copying error 28°22' N  06°01' E (somewhere in the Sahara desert, lots of sun 8-)) statt  58°21' N  06°01' E

gruß + greetings, Urs

"History will tell lies, Sir, as usual" - General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne zu seiner Niederlage bei Saratoga 1777 im Amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg - nicht in Wirklichkeit, aber in George Bernard Shaw`s Bühnenstück "The Devil`s Disciple"

Urs Heßling

hello and moin

Frage / Question

Warum wurde die norwegische Yacht MASKI am 28.7. durch SWORDFISH vor der englischen Ostküste versenkt? Sie war schon fast am Ziel (England) und wäre doch eine gute Prise oder ein geeignetes Fahrzeug für den Shetland-Bus gewesen.

Why was the Norwegian yacht MASKI sunk by SWORDFISH on July, 28, off the English eastern coast? She had nearly reached her goal (England) and would have been a good prize and a suitable vessel for the Shetland bus.

gruß and greetings, Urs
"History will tell lies, Sir, as usual" - General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne zu seiner Niederlage bei Saratoga 1777 im Amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg - nicht in Wirklichkeit, aber in George Bernard Shaw`s Bühnenstück "The Devil`s Disciple"

TW

--/>/> http://warsailors.com/forum/read.php?1,49544,49544#msg-49544

According to Hezlet the submarine Clyde, returning from Stadtlandet attacked the british submarine Truant in error on the above date. Can anyone furnish more details wrt this incident.
Jan-Olof

Naval-history.net says that on 22 July CLYDE fired 6 torpedoes at a submarine off Fejeosen, on the Norwegian coast. The sub was TRUANT, which escaped undamaged. TRUANT at the time was on patrol off Fejeosen to observe enemy activity, but none was sighted.
de domenico

The attack by CLYDE occurred at 2355/22.07.40 in 58°30' N, 02°45' E. HMS TRUANT had been delayed and should have cleared the area earlier. CLYDE was justified in treating her as enemy as U-boats could be expected in this area.
Platon

TW

Immer wieder versuche ich, die Identität der Maski zu klären. Es gibt aus norwegischer Quelle keinen Hinweis auf ein Boot dieses Namens.

Zitat von: uboat.net link=http://www.uboat.net/allies/warships/ship/3419.html
HMS Swordfish (Lt. P.J. Cowell, RN) comes across the Norwegian yacht Maski in the North Sea in position 55º33'N, 01º31'E. The four Norwegians aboard the yacht were trying to flee to the United Kingdom. After the Norwegians were taken aboard the Maski was sunk with gunfire.

Warsailors.com listet unter Shetland Bus kein Boot namens MASKI; aber es gibt dort eine interssante Seite mit unklärten Flüchtlingsbooten:  --/>/> http://www.warsailors.com/shetlandbus/other.html

Auf dieser Seite findet sich der Eintrag "Sailboat":
Departed Arendal on July 14-1940 with 4 people, all officers in the Merchant Marines. They had been given permission by the German harbour master to sail as far as Farsund for a little vacation, which they also did, but after a few days they took off one night and headed for England. They encountered terrible weather and ended up drifting, but were observed by a British submarine which picked them up. Being as the sub was on a mission to the Norwegian coast the 4 went back towards Norway on board (a ship was torpedoed near Egersund by the sub). At the end of July the sub landed the 4 officers in Newcastle.
They had been aided by a resistance group in Arendal and had with them the code books for a radio station operated by the group. 5 members of the resistance group were arrested after this, and were initially sentenced to death, but this was later changed to 10 years in the penitentiary. Several others involved also had to serve time in the penitentiary.

On board were:
Engineer Olav Andersen, Captain Theodor Jensen (see D/S Grado), Captain Jens Lassen Ugland (see D/S Christian Michelsen and M/S Mosfruit) and Captain Reidar Ytterlid.

Das müsste eigentlich die Geschichte der MASKI sein.
Schönes Wochenende,
Thomas

Zitat von: Urs Hessling am 23 September 2010, 13:17:57
Why was the Norwegian yacht MASKI sunk by SWORDFISH on July, 28, off the English eastern coast? She had nearly reached her goal (England) and would have been a good prize and a suitable vessel for the Shetland bus.

Platon Alexiades

Hello,

On this site it is stated that RORQUAL attacked SECURITAS off Tobruk on 21.7.1940. She is supposed to have scored a hit which was a dud.
I would be interested to know the source of this information as I have been unable to locate such an attack as SECURITAS does not appear to have been there at the time.

Many thanks,

Platon

TW

Hi Platon,
There is no card concerning SECURITAS in Rohwer's ASA index.
Lots of other cards only mention Ufficio Storico and that means, letter(s) have been written about that case, but the folders with correspondence have been deleted all during the late 1990th.
I could not save that correspondence, as it was part of the complete correspondence of our library, and I had not enough time to separate the important parts from the trash in about 150 folders from 1959-1989.

Ich habe B-Datum und B-Position aus dem Datensatz entfernt; damit ist er als Vermutung gekennzeichnet. Ich nehme an, die Beobachtung "T-Versager" kam von Seiten RORQUALS. Worauf sich die Vermutung SECURITAS stützt, kann ich nicht mehr herausfinden. :-(
Anmerkung und Link wurden erneuert.
Herzliche Grüße, Thomas

Zitat von: Platon Alexiades am 14 Juli 2011, 15:41:04
I would be interested to know the source of this information as I have been unable to locate such an attack as SECURITAS does not appear to have been there at the time.

Platon Alexiades

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for the information. I believe the target of RORQUAL was ANDREA GRITTI but do not have confirmation yet. I will try to find out.

Platon

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung