MFP in Albanian navy?

Begonnen von pothkan, 04 Januar 2008, 22:17:55

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

pothkan

This is my first post here, so... hello :)

My German is rather in weak condition, so please forgive me using English.

Some naval yearbooks state, that Albanians seized after WW2 two (?) ex-German MFP vessels. I suppose it would probably be of "D" variant, built in Italian shipyards... In Groner's book there is few MFP-D with unclear fate (especially F 11## D series). However, may be here you have more data? Any MPF-s known to be left or sunk in Albanian coast? (Germans were thrown out in Nov.-Dec. 1944).

Of course, JFS could be wrong ;)

Best regards,
Oskar Myszor (pothkan)

http://worldnavies.glt.pl/

Leutnant Werner

In "flottes de combat 1960" there is not even a citation about the Albanian Fleet.

"Jane´s fighting ships 1970-71" : Landing craft, 2 utility transport type, displacement 225 tons, speed 10 knots, "Reported to be of the former German MFP type. For general utility and transport service".

"Flottes de combat 1976": "The following are either of Soviet or chinese origin..." - 2 small transports... (??? - I think, these are not of soviet origin, since the Albanians only sailed two small tankers, 2 Khobi-class water barges and 2 Nyriat-class diving tenders as auxiliaries of soviet origin)

"JSF 1981-82": "There are reported to be a dozen or so harbour tugs and port tenders including a water carrier, a barrack ship and two small transports (...)"

"Weyer 1982-83": 4 Tankers and 2 diving tenders are mentioned, but no small transports or landing craft

Cheers
Lt.

pothkan

Albanian navy was one of most "mysterious" in fleet yearbooks, so a lot of data is unclear, doubtful or even mistaken (e.g. 1950s Weyers stated that one of Yugoslavian "Mosor" minesweepers was given to Albania*, JFS from beginning of 1960s - that Soviets gave few of their lend-lease Vospers, and JFS 1981 - that Huangfen rocket craft given from China). Also, until late 1970s no photos of Albanian warships appeared in yearbooks (Soviet, Chinese or Polish of same classes were shown instead).

* Conways 47-95 states, that it was ex- "Marjan" and "Mosor", both stricken from Albanian fleet in 1967. "Mosor" was beached 31.12.1943 in Kozja Draga (being under German flag, as ex-Italian "Pasman"), and scrapped c.1954 by Yugoslavians. "Marjan" was deleted from Yugoslavian navy in 1970s (as M 31). Other two ships, "Meljine" and "Mljet", had similar fate - deleted 1968 as M 32 and M 33. Last one, "Malinska", later Italian "Arbe", was seized by Germans in September 1943, and her later fate is unknown for me (btw - anyone can add it?). In 1962/63 JFS there is a photo of "ex-Marjan", viewing "Marjan" in... pre-war Yugoslavian colors.

Albanian MFPs (if existed) were probably stricken (due to age) in late 1960s-early 1970s. They appear in Weyers 1971/72 ("typ deutsch MFP"), but not in 1975/76. There disappear also from JFS 1971/72, so your 70/71 is last one with them. So they would be deleted circa 1971, but... why Weyers/JFS editors decided to erase them? Was there any report?

By the way, "2 transports" could be of Soviet origin, because yearbooks definitely not included many smaller vessels. Recently I've found a present photo of Albanian auxiliary ships, and there is visible a small water carrier of Soviet 1950s project (recognized with help of Russian friends), not included in any yearbook.

More wide question: were any vessels left by Kriegsmarine in Albanian coast (or Scutari, Prespa lakes) before withdrawal?

crolick

According to Freivogel (in Marine Arsenal) MALINSKA was scuttled in Genoa by Italians and not comissioned again by Germans.

Leutnant Werner

Conway´s ist almost always exact, but not always exact :-D (Besides, I love to read ´em)

pothkan

Zitat von: crolick am 05 Januar 2008, 20:32:01
According to Freivogel (in Marine Arsenal) MALINSKA was scuttled in Genoa by Italians and not comissioned again by Germans.
According to this article, ARBE was "wahrscheinlich nicht mehr in Dienst gestellt, sondern im Hafen selbstversenkt". So last undoubtful fact is, that she was captured by Germans. Same he wrote in article on class (I have Polish translation, in "Okrety Wojenne" nr 30). But what later? If Freivogel is right, where and when was she sunk?

PS. Gdzie nie wlezę, tam już jakiś rodak siedzi...

TD

Zur PASMAN  einige kleine Meldungen.

24.12.43   Der in Sibenik liegende Minenleger PASMAN wird mit einer deutsch – kroatischen Mannschaft besetzt. Es gibt Meldungen das PASMAN unter kroatische Flagge kommen sollte.

31.12.44   Strandung auf der Insel Die Besatzung (26 Deutsche und Kroaten) wird von Partisanen gefangengenommen. Versuche durch gemischte Heeres- und Marineverbände die Besatzung zu finden werden bald aufgegeben, insbesondere da nach Aussagen von Inselbewohnern die Besatzung angeblich kurz nach der Gefangennahme getötet wurde.

Hier der Grönertext:
Pasman ( . .31) als jugoslaw. Minenleger Mosor / 22.4.41 in Sibenik ital. Beute, i.D. als Pasman / 20.12.43 in Sibenik übernommen von der Mannschaft der Siebelfähre ,,SF 193"; auf Überführungsfahrt nach Pola zur Ausrüstung 5.1.44 + Bucht Kozja Draga/Insel Ist / im Nebel gestrandet; Besatzung von ,,NB 3" (Partisanenflotte) gefangen genommen / § 13.1.44 als Totalverlust; 1954 br.

Vielleicht läßt sich ja noch etwas einengen.

Gruß

Theo

...ärgere dich nicht über deine Fehler und Schwächen, ohne sie wärst du zwar vollkommen, aber kein Mensch mehr !

pothkan

ANother question, about "Malinska" class sisters (or cousins):

A-H. tenders MT 138-141 (laid down 1919) > Yug. MR 101-104 (finished somewhere in 1930s - when?) > 1941 It. tugs N.15-18

What happened with them after 1943? Any hints?

Regards,
Oskar

kgvm

N. 15: captured by the Germans at Cattaro 11.09.43
N. 16: captured by the Germans at Sebenico 11.09.43
N. 17: 09.43 at Zara
N. 18: captured by the Germans at Sebenico 11.09.43
Further fate of all unknown
Source: F. Bargoni, Tutte le Navi Miltari d'Italia 1861 - 1986

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung