Italian Patrol Boat Balena ( Palmira?) In Kriegsmarine Service 1943-45

Begonnen von PT Dockyard, 19 Juni 2008, 05:04:59

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

PT Dockyard

Aldo Fraccaroli's Book "Italian Warships of World War Two" Mention that this patrol boat was captured by the Germans in 1943 in Genoa and found there sunk at the end of the war.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z206/ptdockyard/Balena.jpg

Her name was changed by the Italians in 1933 to the "Palmira."
She is not listed in Groeners but many of the craft in the Genoa-La Spezia- Livornio Hafenschutzflottllen do not have names listed. Does anyone have any other information on this ship in German service?

Dave G.
The PT Dockyard
The PT Dockyard
The Island of Misfit Boats

t-geronimo

Dave, your link to the picture was broken but I completed it.

If you copy and paste links please remember the forum software will shorten long links. You cannot copy the shortened link and then paste ist somewhere else as it then will be incomplete (with "..." in the middle).  :wink:

And please understand that I deleted the other question because it was the same than this one. 

Good luck for your researches!! :O/Y
Gruß, Thorsten

"There is every possibility that things are going to change completely."
(Captain Tennant, HMS Repulse, 09.12.1941)

Forum MarineArchiv / Historisches MarineArchiv

kgvm

Acording to Franco Bargoni, Tutte le navi Militari d'Italia 1861 - 1986 "BALENA" was renamed "PALMARIA"!
BTW: was there a revised version of Fraccaroli's Italian Warships of World War II? My book (Ian Allan Ltd., London, Third impression 1978) doesn't mention "Balena"/"Palmaria" or the trawler type patrol vessels at all??

PT Dockyard

I meant the book on WW1, not WW2. Sorry :-(

Sorry about the link too. It was late when I put it up.

It looks like she was used as a tug but with the Kriegsmarine or RSI.

Dave
The PT Dockyard
The Island of Misfit Boats

TD

Zu Palmaria haben wir ( Cai Boi, Dr. Meyer & ich)

Palmaria (1915) 250 BRT, 288 t; chilen. S/tg Corral; 1917 ital. Marine Balena; 1933 Palmaria;

9.9.1943Genua dt.;

28.4.1944 als geeignet für HS-Boot der Faschistenrepublik bezeichnet;
24.04. 1944 +  Genua durch Sprengung

Ob das nun alles noch zusammen passt ??

Gruß

Theo
...ärgere dich nicht über deine Fehler und Schwächen, ohne sie wärst du zwar vollkommen, aber kein Mensch mehr !

kgvm

Wenn Du beim Sprengungsdatum 1944 durch 1945 ersetzt, könnte es gut passen :)

Enrico Cernuschi

Hi Theo,

do you know about other Italian auxiliary ships armed by the Fascist Republic Navy in 1943-1945?

EC

TD

Hallo E.C.,

ist sehr schwer.

Die mit italienischer Besatzung  besetzten Schiffe innerhalb der der Flottillen werden immer in den deutschen Akten aufgeführt.

Sonst ja meistens in den KTB's ,, Ein it. Faschistenboot" usw.

Ich habe hier ja schon von einen jungen Mitkämpfer die Order bekommen gleich Meldung zu machen wenn ich einmal weitere Hinweise finde.

Mache ich natürlich auch. !

Gruß

Theo
...ärgere dich nicht über deine Fehler und Schwächen, ohne sie wärst du zwar vollkommen, aber kein Mensch mehr !

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung