Versenkung Royal Navy U-Boot Mittelmeer - Februar und April 1942

Begonnen von Robby, 02 Februar 2023, 18:40:16

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

t-geronimo

Gruß, Thorsten

"There is every possibility that things are going to change completely."
(Captain Tennant, HMS Repulse, 09.12.1941)

Forum MarineArchiv / Historisches MarineArchiv

Platon Alexiades

Hello Roby,

During the period of February-April 1942, most of the attacks by aircraft on submarines at sea were carried out by Italian planes. The only which appears to have been made by German aircraft are:

1. 5 March 1942: HMS Unique attacked by a Junker 88 off Malta (no damage).
2. 10 March 1942: an aircraft of X.Fliegerkorps claimed to have sunk a submarine in 109° - Cape Spartivento - 40 miles (bogus: no British or Allied submarines in area).
3. 14 April 1942: Four German aircraft of III./ZG.26 (two Bf 109 of 8th Squadron and two Do 17 of 10th Squadron) attacked a submerged submarine in 34°47' N, 16°55' E (bogus: no British or Allied submarines in area).
4. 19 April 1942: HMS Clyde attacked in Malta swept channel by German aircraft with MG and cannonfire (slighltly damaged).

Of course, four submarines were sunk in Malta harbour by air attack (HMS P.36, HMS P.39, HMS Pandora and HHMS Glaukos but these do not meet your description.

Best regards,

Platon

crolick

Zitat von: Platon Alexiades am 20 Februar 2023, 20:00:13
Hello Roby,

During the period of February-April 1942, most of the attacks by aircraft on submarines at sea were carried out by Italian planes. The only which appears to have been made by German aircraft are:

1. 5 March 1942: HMS Unique attacked by a Junker 88 off Malta (no damage).
2. 10 March 1942: an aircraft of X.Fliegerkorps claimed to have sunk a submarine in 109° - Cape Spartivento - 40 miles (bogus: no British or Allied submarines in area).
3. 14 April 1942: Four German aircraft of III./ZG.26 (two Bf 109 of 8th Squadron and two Do 17 of 10th Squadron) attacked a submerged submarine in 34°47' N, 16°55' E (bogus: no British or Allied submarines in area).
4. 19 April 1942: HMS Clyde attacked in Malta swept channel by German aircraft with MG and cannonfire (slighltly damaged).

Of course, four submarines were sunk in Malta harbour by air attack (HMS P.36, HMS P.39, HMS Pandora and HHMS Glaukos but these do not meet your description.

Best regards,

Platon
Not sure if that would help but PANDORA and GLAFKOS were sunk at Hamilton Wharf, P.36 at Store Wharf and P.39  close to Lazaretto.

Hope that helps!
Andrzej

Robby

Hallo,

Es war nicht einfach, aber ich habe etwas gefunden... im Riesaer Tageblatt vom Montag 2. März 1942 - sehe Anhang. Wirksame Tiefangriffe deutscher Jäger auf britisches U-Boot. Im Wehrmachtbericht vom 28. Febraur 1942 - also enige Tage bevor 28. Februar - in der Nähe des Hafens La Valetta.  Wer hat genaue Info über diesen Angriff? 

Mit besten Grüßen,
Rob

Platon Alexiades

Hello Roby,

I had missed this one from my earlier posting:

At 0725/27 February 1942, the submarine HMS P.39 ( Lt. N. Marriott, DSC, RN) was attacked by a Me 109 fighter as she was returning on the surface to Malta and was just 1 mile from Marsamaxett. She dived, not before she suffered slight damage to the bridge fittings, but had no casualties.

Best regards,

Platon

Robby

Thank you very much Platon - seems like a match.  Can you please provide me with the complete entry in the war diary of HMS P.39 relating to this incident?

Best regards,
Rob

Platon Alexiades

Hello Roby,

I am attaching the HMS P.39 patrol report. Air attack is at the bottom of the second page.

Best regards,

Platon

Robby

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung