1935/1936: Prototyp franz. Landungsfahrzeug in Lorient

Begonnen von Darius, 01 Oktober 2021, 00:11:35

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

Darius

Hallo zusammen,

im Werk "On Seas Contested: The Seven Great Navies of the Second World War" wird auf S. 15 im Kapitel zu Frankreich darauf hingewiesen, dass es 1935/36 in Lorient Erprobungen mit dem Prototyp eines Landungsfahrzeuges gegeben hat.

Hat jemand mehr Infos zu diesem Prototyp (techn. Angaben, Fotos, Verbleib,...)?

Vielen Dank &  :MG:

Darius

Paloupalou

Hello,
I found a very little piece of info in "souvenirs d'un officier de marine" of Contre-amiral Jean Cornuault, page 92, I quote (and translate) :

"I had indeed taken part two years ago [in 1934], in Lorient, in the tests of a motorized landing craft with a folding bow which could have served well, but it was only a prototype ; during this tests i saw for the only time of my life Admiral Castex whose "Théories stratégiques" I admired."

Nothing more, no plan nor photo but it's something I guess! It confirms that a french prototype of a landing craft existed. I am not estonished Castex was involved, this guy was brilliant and way ahead of his time.

I remember reading (but I don't recall where) that the plans for the american landing craft had benn made by a french officer and that he managed to make them pass to the allies after the armistice. If I find the source I will post here.

TW

Thanks a lot, Paloupalou.
With best regards, Thomas

Darius

Paloupalou

Hello Darius,

I found back what I was thinking about in my last post!It was in "De Mers El Kébir à Londres" by Jean Boutron (exists in English - book named "An honourable sailor and spy"). And it is not what you are really looking for but it will however interest you 8-) !
It is about a Capitaine de Frégate named Pierre BARJOT.
Page 156 I quote and translate :
[...] Barjot [...] takes a sheet of graph paper from his pocket which he carefully unfolds and spreads out in front of me. I recognize there, drawn in the green ink he likes, drawings of ships.
These are curious ships in the shape of large barges with high freeboard, with a rounded stern and whose front is a sort of cutaway without a stem. Ultimately, huge rectangular boxes high on the water and ugly. He explains to me that this is his concept of landing ships without which no attack operation on any shore can be envisaged.
He gives me details.
But where does drawing take him for the moment if not to his intellectual, personal satisfaction, as a sailor and strategist? He laughed, then, sparing his little effect, he said to me:
"To the consul general of the United States in Marseille. I went to see him on the sly and offered to give him some information [...]. So, I'm going to take my drawings to him."
He guesses from my expression that [...] I fail to see the importance of his drawings. So he explains, returning with passion to his fixed idea that he has already developed for me twenty times: North Africa.
"There is no doubt for me - and the more I think and study, the more I am convinced - that thinking of a landing on the European continent - France, Belgium or the Netherlands, for example - without having first made sure of North Africa, would be stupidity. It is through Algeria and Tunisia that the reconquest must begin, otherwise it will be crushed.
It is therefore in North Africa that the next Allied landing must take place which, if Vichy has finally understood, will be facilitated and supported by us. However, we must plan for the worst, the landing against Vichy. So, powerful forces and countless boats are needed to transport them. These boats do not exist, they must be built and before building them, design them, experiment with them. This is why I am giving my little idea on the question because we have to move quickly!
The Americans will be in the war before long, that's for sure, but whether they are there or not, they can already build what will be necessary for the English if not for themselves. I don't know if I'm going to teach them anything, but what I'd especially like to do is tease them, convince them that we need to start right away."
The next day I see Barjot again. He is happy: he gave his little drawings to the consul who promised to send them as soon as possible.

Darius

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung