Duikboot - Nummer 38832: U956, 19.12.1944

Begonnen von igor, 19 Juni 2020, 18:34:12

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

igor

I wish to ask about source of data for this attack in AC21. Very strange case, that place near Spitzbergen must by sealed by ice in december. Moreover, next attack 20.12.44 with no time in AC89 - around 1000 km from AC21! This is no possible to reach for U-boot even with max. speed. U.956 is very mystrerious for me, as i don't know any particulars about her attacks in december 1944.

ARANTALES

Hallo Igor,

We try to find what source was used for the record in question.
Alas, in our young(-er) days we didn't use a field 'source' in the database to give references of sources used, so it will take some time to locate the source used for the information.

U956 should not have been in AC21 on the 19th. Another indication something is fishy with record 38832.
U956 was ordered to operate in the area AW21/AC85 from December 17 1944 onwards till at least December 25.

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Frans & Walter

igor

ARANTALES

Dear Igor,

We did not (yet) locate our initial source for record 38832 about U956, but in the proces we found more information that the record is wrong.

https://www.uboat.net/boats/patrols/patrol_2699.html in the maps with the daily positions of uboats also place U956 much nearer Spitzbergen (without giving the grid reference for the position) on December 19, 1944.
The War Diary of the Skl https://opus4.kobv.de/opus4-zmsbw/frontdoor/index/index/searchtype/series/id/1/rows/10/docId/85/start/4 has an entry on the date of January 1st, 1945, that U956 probably sank a freighter and torpedoed another vessel on December 20, 1944, in U956's operational area by the 'Fischerhalbinsel' (Poluostrow Rybatschi?). This peninsula is situated in 69°45'00"N, 032°30'00"E - AC881. Far from AC21...

https://www.historisches-marinearchiv.de/projekte/ass/ausgabe.php?where_value=4251 also dates the 2 attacks by U956 on the 20th, and give as position for both the attacks AC8973, a position somewhat to the East of the aforementioned peninsula.

Frans could check the HW18-records from TNA, records holding intercepted and decyphered Kriegsmarine radiomessages, sorted by uboat, but none of those present about U956 tell about the attacks on 20 Dec. 44. HW18 might not hold all messages from/to U956, but - sorry - looking through the Defe3-records, which hold ALL intercepted messages, is a task that surpasses our present possibilities.

Should something come up at a later date, We'll post it here. Promised.
For now we'll change the record in DUIKBOOT to be in line with the mention in the KTB Skl, AND we'll refer to that source in QUELLE/BRON.

Thank you Sir for having brought the problem with record 38832 to our attention! Much appreciated  top

Frans & Walter

igor

Hello!
Thanks for all yor concern. There is no need to check in Ultra, problem already cheked in DEFE 3. There is no suitable records for 956
I have one short message from 956 to OKM dated 18.12. U.956 have seen some warships in AC4852 on 17.12. Same also in ULTRA. And then only one incomprehensible for me message from 29.12.

igor

There is one more important question about U.956 and her attacks on 28.12.44. Even time present in database, but again, no source. From where it come?

ARANTALES

Same - unsatisfactory - reply as before: if/when we find the source used many years ago, we'll let you know.

Frans & Walter

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung