Italian Naval Camouflage of World War 2 by Marco Ghiglino

Begonnen von PT Dockyard, 18 August 2018, 21:14:17

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

PT Dockyard

Amazing book!
I have been waiting for this book for a year or so. What started as a quick once over after opening it tonight turned into a slow, deliberate review in awe. This author is new to me and apparently has a collection of photos that is vast, clear and overall astounding. The information here covers not just the period from 1940-43 but shows a LOT on these vessels in German use. Not just one or two ships in small ship classes but multiple examples. Profile drawings of ships I have not seen and have been looking to model.

Small craft are extremely well covered. I usually see them get the short shrift in general books like these but I have to say I see far more here that is new to me (as in all of the photos) than things I have seen before. Rare camo schemes are backed up by photos as well.

The only thing I would add is the need for deck views and coverage of submarines. That being said, I have not had so much new information arrive in a single source in almost 20 years.

Dave G
The PT Dockyard
The Island of Misfit Boats

Peter K.

Thanks for the information, DAVE! I had preordered the book about a year ago, but I haven´t received it until yet. But the way to Austria is a bit longer ....
Grüße aus Österreich
Peter K.

www.forum-marinearchiv.de

Iceman

Hello Dave,

I'm the author of the book. You cannot imagine how happy and proud made me your words. My intent was to give the "small units", the same importance had the major ones. I tried also to clarify the situation of the Italian built ships under German flag, not properly covered by German books nor Italian books.....

If there is anything I can help you with or some clarification you need, please let me know.

Marco Ghiglino

Peter K.

Today I finally received "my" book and after a quick view of myself I would like to add some words to DAVE´s assessment about MARCO´s work.

Apart from the nearly countless excellent drawings there are a lot of really great pictures, some of them are even color pictures. I especially want to mention the camouflage schemes of the MZ - landing boats and the Italian water tanker / landing ships, but also the wonderful pics from various TA - boats and from KAPITÄN DIEDERICHSEN for example.

All in all I would say, that the book is a highly recommended alternative for English speaking readers to the Italian standard work of Erminio BAGNASCO and Maurizio BRESCIA called " La Mimetizzazione delle Navi Italiane 1940 - 1945", which is - as far as I know - out of print.
Grüße aus Österreich
Peter K.

maxim

Hi Peter,
Would you recommend to buy the book in addition to La Mimetizzazione delle Navi Italiane 1940 - 1945? I have the Italian book and it is available here: https://www.nonsolostoria.it/

My interest are primarily cruisers and some destroyers.

Lars

Peter K.

Grüße aus Österreich
Peter K.

PT Dockyard

Hello Marco,
My pleasure! Your book has been rather energizing with all of these new photos and such.

I will contact you by PM with a few questions I have.

Thanks,
Dave G.
The PT Dockyard
The Island of Misfit Boats

kgvm

"I will contact you by PM with a few questions I have."

Dave, you don't think your questions might be of general interest??

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung