Graf Spee : Radio Direction Finder (RDF) Antenna ?

Begonnen von Trans Am, 13 April 2017, 01:01:47

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

Trans Am

When the Graf Spee was modified during his March-April 1938 refit at Marinewerft Wilhelmshaven shipyard to his final configuration, the Radio Direction Finding (RDF) antenna was relocated.  Where ?

It was originally located on a small platform that protruded forward from the base of the uppermost platform on the bridge tower and had the shape of three round rings, the smaller one mounted between the larger two.  After the March-April 1938 refit, that platform was eliminated and I have not been able to find the RDF antenna anywhere else on the Graf Spee.

I know that he had one, as it was used during his war cruise to locate merchant shipping.

So where was it re-located after the modifications ?  What was the shape ?  Was it just a smaller version of the original ring ?

Thank you for helping,
Steve Wiper

Herr Nilsson

A so called "Goniometer-Schleife" [goniometer-loop?] in combination with a "Peilerhilfsantenne" [direction finding auxiliary antenna?] could also have served for direction finding (like on Bismarck).
Gruß Marc

juergenwaldmann

Welche Antenne am Turm ist gemeint ?

Neuer Turm geändert

Herr Nilsson

Die, die auf den Fotos nicht mehr zu sehen ist.
Gruß Marc

juergenwaldmann

Auf einer alten Postkarte ist der alte Turm :

Herr Nilsson

Gruß Marc

juergenwaldmann

Danke Marc ,
es ist schon lange her , dass ich das Schiff als Modell gebaut habe .
Interessant wie oft und wie viel da am Turm geändert wurde .
Aber wo sind die Ringe geblieben , oder wurden sie nicht mehr benötigt ?

Gruss  Jürgen

juergenwaldmann

Sehr lange ist es her , als ich das Modell erstellte .

Das Panzerschiff Modell soll bald wieder zu einem Treffen mitkommen .

Schön wäre es , wenn mir jemand die genaue Funktion der Antenne erklären könnte .
Gruss  Jürgen

Herr Nilsson

Hallo Jürgen,

die eigentliche Peilantenne ist der mittlere Ring, das nennt sich Drehrahmenpeiler. Die beiden äußeren Ringe liegen dienen lediglich der Kompensation von störenden Einflüssen, diese nennt man Doppelring-Kompensationsschleife.
Gruß Marc

juergenwaldmann

Auch wenn es lästig erscheint , dazu noch eine Frage , die auch Steve Wiper hatte :
wohin wurde die Antenne verlegt , oder war sie überflüssig geworden ??
Wurde die Antenne verändert und in einer anderen Form installiert ?

Herzlichen Dank 
Jürgen

Herr Nilsson

Hallo Jürgen,

wie ich bereits Steve schrieb, wurde auf anderen Schiffen mithilfe einer Goniometerschleife gepeilt. Womöglich war der Peiler nach dem Umbau nicht mehr notwendig.
Gruß Marc

Trans Am

Hallo Marc (Her Nilsson)

Can you please show this antenna on a photo of Graf Spee ?

You said a "Goniometer-Schleife" [goniometer-loop?] in combination with a "Peilerhilfsantenne" [direction finding auxiliary antenna?] could also have served for direction finding (like on Bismarck). 

When I look for these I cannot find the same circle loop that I am used to seeing for RDF antenna ?

Your help is most appreciated,
Steve Wiper

juergenwaldmann

Herr Nilsson

Zitat von: Trans Am am 13 April 2017, 22:04:04
Hallo Marc (Her Nilsson)

Can you please show this antenna on a photo of Graf Spee ?

You said a "Goniometer-Schleife" [goniometer-loop?] in combination with a "Peilerhilfsantenne" [direction finding auxiliary antenna?] could also have served for direction finding (like on Bismarck). 

When I look for these I cannot find the same circle loop that I am used to seeing for RDF antenna ?

Your help is most appreciated,
Steve Wiper

Hello Steve,

no, I can't. I'm not a Graf Spee expert.  :embarassed:
On Bismarck the "Goniometer-Schleife" simply consists of a few straight wires. The wires look like any other antennas.
Anyway, it's just an asumption that this kind of RDF could possibly also be used on Graf Spee.
Gruß Marc

Trans Am

Hello Marc,

Actually, what you have said is a big help, so I will look into this and try to discover what and where ! 

I am thinking it was most likely placed atop the main rangefinder on the bridge tower of Graf Spee.  There appear to be several antenna up there.  Problem is that I have never seen a detail photograph of that portion of the Graf Spee.

Thanks for your help,
Steve Wiper

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung