ASA-Datensatz: 16003 STRALE

Begonnen von TW, 24 Januar 2016, 16:05:57

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

TW

:asa: http://www.historisches-marinearchiv.de/projekte/asa/ausgabe.php?where_value=2343

In fast allen Internet-Quellen und Büchern wird behauptet, dass HMS TURBULENT das Wrack des italienischen Zerstörers STRALE vernichtet habe. Brian Corijn weist auf der TURBULENT-Seite des uboat.net aber nach, dass das britische Unterseeboot auf seiner 7. Feindfahrt nicht einmal in die Nähe Tunesiens gekommen ist.

http://www.uboat.net/allies/warships/ship/3505.html Suche "5 Aug 1942"

Der Zerstörer war am 21. Juni 1942 bei einer Geleitoperation wegen eines Ruderschadens bei Ras el-Ahmar auf Grund geraten. Ich wüsste gerne, woher die Beobachtung eines Torpedoangriffs auf das Wrack am 6. August originär stammt. Und zu welcher Uhrzeit fand dieser Angriff statt?

Viele Grüße
Thomas

Platon Alexiades

Hi Thomas,

I have not seen in Italian records any mention of a torpedo attack on STRALE on 5 or 6 August. The official histories, the Supermarina diaries and the STRALE file make no mention of such an incident. It would be interesting to find out where this error came from.

Best regards,

Platon

TW

Hi Platon.
Rohwer refused the suggestion that STRALE was destroyed by TURBULENT already in ASA book. Do you know what really happened with the wreck of STRALE after stranding at Ras el-Ahmar? Was the wreck salved ever since by the Italians to be broken down, or was the wreck rusted and washed away by wind and waves?
Best regards
Thomas

Platon Alexiades

Hi Thomas,

I have noticed that the claim that TURBULENT destroyed the wreck of STRALE is mentioned in the book "I Cacciatorpediniere Italiani 1900-1966" written by Admiral Fioravanzo and others and published by the Ufficcio Storico in 1966. His source is unknown to me.

In the STRALE file at the Ufficio Storico, there is a fairly detailed file (39 pages) written by Maggiore Del Genio Navale Alberto Oltolini on the attempts to salvage her. After salvaging as much material as possible (several vessels were involved during this period) and attempting to tow her away, the attempts were finally given up (the wreck had been badly damaged by the weather) and on the evening of 5 August 1942 all the Italians involved (including some members of the crew who had remained on board) were evacuated to Italy.

I do not know of any work to salvage her when Axis forces occupied Tunisia a few months later, they probably had more urgent things to do. I can only guess that the wreck was probably broken up after the war.

Best regards,

Platon

TW

Thanks a lot for your most interesting findings, Platon.
And here ...

Zitat von: Platon Alexiades am 25 Januar 2016, 15:28:35
... on the evening of 5 August 1942 all the Italians involved (including some members of the crew who had remained on board) were evacuated to Italy.

we have the date of 5th August 1942 again.
It was the date when all Italian efforts of salvage had come to an end, and STRALE had to be declared a constructive total loss.
Best regards,
Thomas

t-geronimo

Im KTB Marinekommando Italien und im untergeordneten KTB Führungsstand Nordafrika gibt es keine Eintragungen zu einem Vorfall.
Gruß, Thorsten

"There is every possibility that things are going to change completely."
(Captain Tennant, HMS Repulse, 09.12.1941)

Forum MarineArchiv / Historisches MarineArchiv

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung