Flotten der Welt > Royal Navy - U-Boote

HM/Sub Urge wohl vor Libyen gefunden. edit: bei Malta gefunden

<< < (9/9)

AndreasB:
Thanks Platon.

I presume you are aware of the long (and somewhat flawed) discussion of the minefield situation on the Neptune website?

http://www.hmsneptune.com/inquiryanalysis.htm

It's helpful in that it indicates what was known in January 1942 (minefield extending from 33-15N to 33N to 13-07E to 13-40E.

All the best

Andreas

Platon Alexiades:
Hello Andreas,

I had not seen the Neptune website but it is very interesting, thank you. I have read the Force K reports and also the Italian reports of the recovery of the only survivor of HMS Neptune as well as those of the laying of the "T" minefield. The British were aware of the laying of the "T" and "B" minefields before they were laid (see ADM223/526) but they had no knowledge of the exact positions. As you can guess, "T" was for Tripoli and "B" was for Benghazi. Actually, the northernmost position of the mines was 3308.5' N, this meant that HMS Upholder initial route to join the patrol line (through 3325' N, 1340' E) was fairly safe (unless a gross error in navigation). However, the move from the patrol line to intercept the GIULIA/MONREALE convoy brought her very close to the minefield.

The claims that HMS Upholder was sunk by the torpedo boat Pegaso or by an aircraft have no basis in facts.

Best regards,

Platon

Platon

AndreasB:
Hi Platon

Just for clarity, I am not questioning your conclusion at all, just thought you might be interested in the additional info.

Do you have the ADM223 document and would you be willing to share it?

My understanding is that 'B' was never laid.

All the best

Andreas

Platon Alexiades:
Hi Andreas,

Here are the extracts of ADM223/526. Although the signals were intercepted in May 1941, they were only read at the end of October 1941. This gives you an idea that ULTRA information was not always timely!

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Platon

AndreasB:
Fantastic, thank you!

All the best

Andreas

Navigation

[0] Themen-Index

[*] Vorherige Sete

Zur normalen Ansicht wechseln