Trefferschäden auf Jean Bart

Begonnen von p-kreuzer, 19 Dezember 2006, 00:31:07

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

Lutscha

Du scheinst einfach deine Antwort ins Zitat gepackt zu haben... :-D

Zumindest siehts danach aus, wenn ich den Text zitiere.
Das ist ja barer Unsinn, wenn das stimmen würde, hätten SIE ja recht!

Typisch deutsche Argumentationsweise.

Spee

Servus,

historisch ist hier ja einiges reichlich in die Hose gegangen.
Nicht die Amerikaner haben bei den Landungen bei Fedhala und Oran das Feuer eröffnet, sondern die Franzosen. Es gab vor den Landungen von amerikanischer Seite ernste Bemühungen, ein Blutvergießen zwischen den befreundeten Navy's zu verhindern, einschließlich einer Rundfunkansprache Präsident Roosevelts, welche die Landung ankündigte. Das diese bei den entscheidenden französischen Stellen nicht empfangen wurde, Kismet.
Es so darzustellen, daß die Amerikaner ohne Bedenken die Franzosen einfach ohne Vorwarnung beschossen haben ist schlicht falsch. Die Franzosen schossen anfangs auf die vor den Häfen liegenden Schiffe ohne zu wissen, welcher Nationalität diese angehörten. Die Amerikaner eröffneten nicht das Feuer, sondern erwiderten die Feuereröffnung der Franzosen.
Bevor man etwas in die Welt setzt, sollte man sich informieren, Samuel Eliot Morrison wäre ein guter Anfang. Der folgende Auszug daraus spricht für sich, wie die Amerikaner zu den Gefechten mit der französischen Flotte standen:

"They did not like it - and neither we did it; but if the French Navy chose to give battle, and oppose the landing, there was nothing to be done but shoot it out with them."
Servus

Thomas

Suicide Is Not a War-Winning Strategy

Huszar

Zum Glück haben wir damals März 1944 nicht geschossen, als die dt. hereinkamen! Die wollen das Land besetzen, und wir haben die Frechheit, und schiessen auf sie! Pfuj Teufel!

(andererseits wären so die Begrüssungsreden ausgefallen, und die ganze Sache wäre in halbsoviel Zeit vorüber gewesen  :-D )

mfg

alex
Reginam occidere nolite timere bonum est si omnes consentiunt ego non contradico
1213, Brief von Erzbischof Johan von Meran an Palatin Bánk von Bor-Kalán

Spee

Genau. Die Deutschen haben die ach so demokratische Regierung Horthy abgesetzt (warum haben die den eigentlich 1938 eingeladen?) und danach den ungeliebten Ferenc Szálasi eingesetzt. Sowas  :? ?
Servus

Thomas

Lutscha

Danke Spee, du willst nicht zufällig deine Morrisons verschenken? :-D
Das ist ja barer Unsinn, wenn das stimmen würde, hätten SIE ja recht!

Typisch deutsche Argumentationsweise.

Spee

@Lutscha,

eher die fehlenden Bände noch haben wollen  :-D !!
Servus

Thomas

bgire

Hello !
Just read this thread on the Jean-Bart and this reminded me...

In 1978 I went to visit USS Massachussetts, which is preserved in Fall River, Mass. I took this picture of interest on the portside of 406mm turret I.
Here you can see (on the left) a 406mm AP shell...

... and on the right the remains of a 406mm shell from "Big Mamie" which was fired during the Casablanca affair and landed without exploding aboard the Jean-Bart. It penetrated deep into the ship and was found when Jean-Bart was repaired at the end of the War.
The shell was returned to the US "as a friendship gift"  :-D and remained for 25 years in the Brooklyn Navy Yard. Finally it was returned to where from it had departed.

toppertino

Wow,amazing.

Is this shell on the right side the same type as the shell on the left?
The right shell looks more round.Which part of the shell is the right one?The "nose"?Or what?
(sorry for my english)

Regards
Lebensende mit 3 Buchstaben: EHE!

Woelfchen

The shell on the left side have a "Ballistic Cap / windshield".
The shell on the right side lose the "windshield" and the "Armor-piercing cape" at the impact.
I think it is only the "shell body"

Und jetzt statt in schlechten englisch in deutsch:
Die Granate rechts hat durch den Aufschlag die aerodynamische Verkleidung verloren und die Panzerbrechende Kappe. Übrig ist nur noch ein teil des eigentlichen Granatkörpers.

look at / Nachschauen kann man unter:
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/Gun_Data_p2.htm

Johannes

Paloupalou

Concerning the bombs that hit the Jean Bart, here is what I found in the French bibliography I own :
- La bataille de Casablanca, by Jacques Mordal, written in 1952 : Pages 206-207 : Attack by 9 bombers SBD Dauntless. One bomb in the bow near the windlass and one bomb in the stern on starboard near the catapult. All the 7 others missed the battleship.
- Les débarquements alliés en Afrique du Nord by CV Caroff, written in 1960 : Pages 190-191. Attack by 8 bombers with 500 kg bombs. As written by Mordal, it is aknowledged the same 2 hits. It is added that one bomb hit the freighter Fauzon which was behind the battleship, one bomb exploded in the water near a dinghy carrying the captain of the Sentinelle (3 wounded by the shrapnells) and one bomb hit the wreck of the cruiser Pluton (it exploded in the harbour on the 13 of september, 1939 and was partially scraped and refloated). The wreck sank.
- Le cuirassé Jean Bart, by Robert Dumas, written in 1992. It has already been reported by Harold in his post of 19 Dezember 2006, 13:28:24 (Antwort 5). The author of the book just copied the report of the engineer Buzin and nothing more.
- Magazine Navires & Histoire n°94 (Février-Mars 2016), an article written by Michel Ledet : "Quand les américains attaquaient le Jean-Bart". Attack by 9 bombers SBD Dauntless with 454 kg bombs (I imagine it was converted from pounds  :-D). Still the one bomb in the bow but 3 bombs on the stern. The first one is the one already described, the second one hit a little more on port and tore out the shaft of the starboard catapult and the third one hit the shaft of the stern catapult. The article is very precise, it is even told which plane and which pilot dropped the bomb so I assume the source was the diaries of the pilots in the american archives. Note that the point of impact of the third bomb is not very sure (in French it said that "it seems" that the bomb hit...).

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung