Schnellboote

Begonnen von joern, 18 September 2012, 09:15:54

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

alo41

Hi PS,

It can only be one of S 10 or S 12.
It looks like it has the "new" straight compass cover. It is then not the boat (assumed S 10) at Flatö that has the "old" oval cover on the photo in my post #1534.

It can then be S 12.

/Alo
Antworte im deutsch, bitte

PS

ZitatIt can only be one of S 10 or S 12.
It looks like it has the "new" straight compass cover. It is then not the boat (assumed S 10) at Flatö that has the "old" oval cover on the photo in my post #1534.
It can then be S 12.
Thank you :-)
regards
PS

PS

Hello
Some photos, S 21, and two photos from Bergen. One posted before, made a larger scan of part of it.(photos own collection)
regards
PS

Urs Heßling

moin,

Zitat von: PS am 18 Mai 2022, 12:28:38
Most likely in april or early mai 1940.(photo own collection)
mMn deutet das Hoheitsabzeichen (Adler mit HK) an der Seite auf ein Foto aus Friedenszeiten
IMO, the national side marking (eagle with swastika) inicates a photo taken before the war

Gruß, Urs
"History will tell lies, Sir, as usual" - General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne zu seiner Niederlage bei Saratoga 1777 im Amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg - nicht in Wirklichkeit, aber in George Bernard Shaw`s Bühnenstück "The Devil`s Disciple"

alo41

Hi Urs,

Yes the eagles were removed but not until early ~1940. The S 10 and S 12 still had them in Norway. Probably because they had been with TVA before they were sent to Norway.

S 25 still shows a mark in the paint left by an eagle in Haugesund. S 25 was delivered in Dec. 1939.

All the painted numbers were probably removed before the war started. "23" is the highest number I have seen on a delivered boat and "30" in the Lürssen werft.

/Alo

Urs Heßling

moin,

Zitat von: alo41 am 16 Juni 2022, 14:14:47
Yes the eagles were removed but not until early ~1940. The S 10 and S 12 still had them in Norway. Probably because they had been with TVA before they were sent to Norway.
Hast Du einen Beleg für einen dauerhaften Einsatz bei der TVA ?
mW waren sie im Januar für Tage bei der TVA, dann in großer Werftliegezeit

Zitat von: alo41 am 16 Juni 2022, 14:14:47
All the painted numbers were probably removed before the war started.
soviel ich weiß, bei den Zerstörern erst im Oktober 1939

Zitat von: PS am 15 Juni 2022, 13:51:13
two photos from Bergen.
aus der KSV-Zeit ?

Gruß, Urs
"History will tell lies, Sir, as usual" - General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne zu seiner Niederlage bei Saratoga 1777 im Amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg - nicht in Wirklichkeit, aber in George Bernard Shaw`s Bühnenstück "The Devil`s Disciple"

alo41

Hi Urs and PS,
Zitat von: Urs Heßling am 16 Juni 2022, 15:36:57

Hast Du einen Beleg für einen dauerhaften Einsatz bei der TVA ?
mW waren sie im Januar für Tage bei der TVA, dann in großer Werftliegezeit
No, I probably should have written that the boats were not with any Schnellbootflottille when the eagles were removed there.

PS's Bergen photos are both KSV. The first shows two black and white typ S 14 boats. The last shows a camouflaged and up gunned typ S 10 boat (S 13?)
Do anyone know when the KSV boats were up gunned? 1944?

/Alo

Urs Heßling

moin,

Zitat von: alo41 am 16 Juni 2022, 16:01:09
Do anyone know when the KSV boats were up gunned? 1944?
ich habe im Lebenslauf von S 16
11.02.1943 - Beginn des Einbaus eines Geschützpodestes (40 mm ?) bei der Kriegsmarinewerft in Bergen

Gruß, Urs

alo41

Thanks Urs,

1943 it is.

I think it was an old 3,7 cm gun.

/Alo

PS

Hello
Thank you both for your information. The photo (typ S 14) from Bergen is most likely taken in the summer or early autumn 1940. Picture taken close to the naval base Marineholmen, KSV using Westvarts as a tender. Later KSV and Westvarts moved to "Tigerbucht"(Åstveitvågen) where the second photo is taken.
The photo S 14.jpg seems to be one from my collection posted years ago in another forum, i used to mark them like that and only post a part of the photo :-) I got it somwhere in some boxes :-D
Regards
PS

alo41

Hi PS,

Yes, I have nicked your photo from the internet some where. The Bergen photos are then from the same roll as I suspected?

I am surprised to see that the KSV Tiger Wappen was used also by the Schnelle U-Jagdgruppe in 1940. It looks like S 14-S 16 used a larger, more distinct version of the Tiger Wappen compared to the later boats.

/Alo

alo41

Hi,

There is a nice photo of S 19 on Ebay de. Link: https://www.ebay.de/itm/234588997504?hash=item369e980780:g:dVAAAOSwRj1iqEfV

It shows S 19 in a dry dock, Calais after the mine damage on 28th Aug 1940. We have already identified the boat based on the 30000 tone claim. There are other photos showing S 19 in a canal (wrongly said to be S 24). I have found the bridge in Calais.

/Alo

Urs Heßling

moin,

Zitat von: alo41 am 19 Juni 2022, 10:05:56
We have already identified the boat based on the 30000 tone claim.
Die Summe aller Erfolgsmeldungen von S 19 (Torpedoschußmeldungen u. KTB) beträgt weniger ...

Gruß, Urs

alo41

Urs,

this thread on page 22 my post #323:

We will get 30500 tons for Töniges S 19 if we don't split the first ship (Roseburn). There is rarely a match between all the different reports with the Whermachbericht normally being the most optimistic.

I think the reporting was done in several stages:
1. Radio from the boats as it happened
2. Verbal when they got back to port and also with a wimple.
3. Written during the day afterwards
4. Compiled in KTB

The Wehrmachtbericht probably wanted the information as quickly as possible to be able to report during the day. The actual ship sunk was probably known from radio surveillance at the later parts of this process. The numbers given in the Whermachtbericht was never changed.

/Alo

Urs Heßling

moin,

Zitat von: alo41 am 19 Juni 2022, 13:59:43
We will get 30500 tons for Töniges S 19 if we don't split the first ship (Roseburn).
Äh ... nein
Aus Schußmeldungen und KTB geht klar hervor, daß alle Torpedos, die S 19 auf Roseburn schoß, Versager (Oberflächenläufer) waren und daß S 26 den entscheidenden Torpedotreffer setzte, während S 19 das Schiff mit dem MG beschoß.
Töniges meldete Erfolge
24.6. - 5000 (Kingfisher)
5.7. - 6000 (unbestätigt)
26.7. - 10.000 (London Trader)
Summe 21.000

zu den 30.000 kommen wir nur
- bei Mitrechung Roseburn und
- dem Erfolg (K.Müller) vom Juni 1941

Für August 1940 sind die 30.000 anhand der Meldungen nicht zusammenzubekommen.

Gruß, Urs

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung