Schnellboote

Begonnen von joern, 18 September 2012, 09:15:54

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

Spee

@Alo,

Zitat von: alo41 am 24 November 2012, 12:40:59
Urs,

The original for the Wappen was probebly taken from the game box "Fang den Hut". There is one photo in Hümmelchen showing the sunk S 626 in Monfalcone with the same Wappen.

According to Mr. Bagnasco's book "In guerra sul mare" the photo was shot in Grado.

Last is one photo schowing a typ S 621 with the old torpedo tubes and a flack vierling. Could also be an improved typ S 601? It also looks like it has the Fang den Hut Wappen. Maybe it was a 24 S-Ftl Wappen?

If you have an evidence this boat is in german service, it must be S630, the former MS 75.

Servus

Thomas

Suicide Is Not a War-Winning Strategy

Urs Heßling

moin, Thomas,

Danke, und eine Frage: ist das alles ein Zitat ... und von wem ?

Gruß, Urs
"History will tell lies, Sir, as usual" - General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne zu seiner Niederlage bei Saratoga 1777 im Amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg - nicht in Wirklichkeit, aber in George Bernard Shaw`s Bühnenstück "The Devil`s Disciple"

Spee

Servus Urs,

nicht ein Zitat ... sondern mein Fehler.
Ich wollte Antwort 162 zitieren und habe blind meine Ausführungen dazu fett eingeschrieben. Trotzdem hoffe ich, es ist verständlich.
Servus

Thomas

Suicide Is Not a War-Winning Strategy

alo41

Hi,

Thank you Urs. Your identifications are correct.

I have now looked at the Cerberus operation. The boats were all typ S 38 and their decks were painted yellow according to Hümmelchen.

I have found one photo of a typ S 38 in the Ostende bunker together with some typ S 18 boats. There is ice in the water (other photos in the same serie). I think it is a 6 S-Ftl boat in early 1942. The boat could be S 69 or S 51 (borrowed from 4 S-Ftl). Both boats took part in operation Cerberus.
I can clearly see four diffrent colors used on the boat. White, black, light grey and dark yellow? The paint can on the deck could be yellow?

Do anyone belive in my conclusions about the yellow color for Weserübung and Cerberus?

/Alo
Antworte im deutsch, bitte

Urs Heßling

hi, Alo,

Zitat von: alo41 am 28 November 2012, 22:39:54
Do anyone believe in my conclusions about the yellow color for Weserübung and Cerberus?

yes, I do.

Zitat von: alo41 am 28 November 2012, 22:39:54
I have found one photo of a typ S 38 in the Ostende bunker together with some typ S 18 boats. There is ice in the water (other photos in the same serie). I think it is a 6 S-Ftl boat in early 1942. The boat could be S 69 or S 51 (borrowed from 4 S-Ftl). Both boats took part in operation Cerberus.

the S 18 type boats could be S 19 (LtzS Hüsing), S 22 (OLtzS Witt) and S 24 (OLtzS Nolte).
Nearly all S 18 type boats (xmt S 23 (+) and S 25) had been listed previously as 6th flottilla training units. From January 1942 on, these three were listed with CO names, implying that they were considered operational.

greetings, Urs
"History will tell lies, Sir, as usual" - General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne zu seiner Niederlage bei Saratoga 1777 im Amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg - nicht in Wirklichkeit, aber in George Bernard Shaw`s Bühnenstück "The Devil`s Disciple"

alo41

Zitat von: Spee am 28 November 2012, 22:19:18
@Alo,

Zitat von: alo41 am 24 November 2012, 12:40:59
Urs,

The original for the Wappen was probebly taken from the game box "Fang den Hut". There is one photo in Hümmelchen showing the sunk S 626 in Monfalcone with the same Wappen.

According to Mr. Bagnasco's book "In guerra sul mare" the photo was shot in Grado.

Hi,

I have tryed to find a match for this photo. I am pretty sure that it is taken in the old port of Monfalcone. The area is totaly rebuilt and I have no profe. I have not been able to find an old photo showing this area. Anyone?
Can you see more of the buildings to the right in the Bagnasco book?

Monfalcone was a populare place to bomb!

/Alo

alo41

Excelent!

Grado it is.
I guess that Hümmelchens text "S 626" was probebly based on the bombing of Monfalcone. We still need the number of the boat.

/Alo

alo41

Hi,

I saw some new photos on the Förderverein Schnellboote web page. Link: http://www.foerderverein-museums-schnellboot.de/sboote-km-norwegen2.htm
They are said to be of S 201 in Norway. It is not correct. S 201 was a typ S 100 and the boat here is a typical typ S 38b. It still looks like Norway. I think it is one of the 1 S-BootSchulFtl boats. The marking is strange. The 1 S-BootSchulFtl typicly had singe letters as marking. There are now three photos of 1945 Schnellboote whith "V" markings that I know of. I have not manged to link the Vs to any commander. Is it some new 1945 system?

1 S-BootSchulFtl
1 S-BootFtl
6 S-BootFtl

/Alo

Urs Heßling

hi,

Zitat von: alo41 am 29 November 2012, 19:49:23
There are now three photos of 1945 Schnellboote whith "V" markings that I know of. I have not manged to link the Vs to any commander.

the sign(s) in the first picture (S 201) isn´t a letter "V", but an "double arrowhead".

The Luftwaffe had similar sign (but pointing sidewards) for the aircraft which belonged to the Group commander`s ADC (Aide de Camp = Adjutant) called a "Winkel" (angle).

greetings, Urs

Urs Heßling

moin, KG,

Zitat von: kgvm am 29 November 2012, 09:19:14
Sorry, Alo, but it's Grado:

gute Entdeckung  top :MG:

Gruß, Urs

alo41

Urs,

I also thinks that it is some tactical marking. Is there any record of a similar system to the Luftwaffe being used by the Kriegsmarine for any unit? The normal "V" could also be a part of such a system (Example: one or two "V" with diffrent orientations).
I remember that we tryed to find commanders that could match the "V" (last name for 6 S-Ftl and first or last name for 1 S-Ftl) but failed.

I do not know the number of the boat. The 1 S-SchulFtl had only typ S 38 boats and one typ S 100 when they went to Norway in Dec. 1944. They had at least one boats converted to typ S 38b (S 89) in 1945.

Could it be that the 1 S-SchulFtl did replace the normal letter marking when they became operational in the same way as 2 S-SchulFtl did with the numbers?

/Alo

Urs Heßling

hi, Alo,

Zitat von: alo41 am 30 November 2012, 16:26:33
I remember that we tryed to find commanders that could match the "V" (last name for 6 S-Ftl and first or last name for 1 S-Ftl) but failed.

the one and only CO I know of is Viktor Howaldt.

greetings, Urs

alo41

Yes, but he used the "VH" initials on his S 117, 2 S-SchulFtl boat in 1945.

/Alo

Urs Heßling

hi, Alo,

Zitat von: alo41 am 30 November 2012, 23:00:22
but he used the "VH" initials on his S 117, 2 S-SchulFtl boat in 1945.

yes, I did know that  :wink:  from the discussions in the Atlantik-Pirat site

greetings, Urs

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung