motor sailing vessel ELPIS

Begonnen von gttf, 25 August 2011, 09:40:40

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

gttf

Hello,
I'm looking for some detail about the final fate of the Greek motor sailing vessel ELPIS (Pi222) which is given as sunk by airplanes on October, 19th, 1941 off Skyropoula (which seems to be a small island W of Skiros, in Aegean Sea). These data seem be coherent with a claim by Cant Z 1007bis bombers of 47. Stormo (same day, motor sailing vessel) except for the position which is not indicated. The doubt I have is relevant to the fact that the 47. Stormo was based in Rhodes and its planes were normally engaged in patrols around Cyprus and in Southern Aegean Sea and in Eastern Mediterranean, as Skyropoula is about 225 nm NW from Rhodes: maybe ELPIS was involved in any supply operations for greek partisans ?
Any help is appreciated
Regards

Fabrizio

Urs Heßling

hello, Fabrizio,

you raised this question here already six weeks ago http://forum-marinearchiv.de/smf/index.php/topic,11788.msg166179.html#msg166179

I`m sorry if nobody is able to answer, I`m definitely ignorant in this matter.

greetings, Urs
"History will tell lies, Sir, as usual" - General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne zu seiner Niederlage bei Saratoga 1777 im Amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg - nicht in Wirklichkeit, aber in George Bernard Shaw`s Bühnenstück "The Devil`s Disciple"

gttf

Hello, Urs, I do apologize: I was thinking to have put the question in the wrong place so I have repeated in what I supposed to be the right place.
Sorry for this
Regards

Fabrizio

de domenico

Dear Fabrizio, it seems rather unlikely that Regia Aeronautica bombers did as late as October 1941 attack a Greek motor schooner not near Cyprus, Syria or, better,  Castelorizo (there was a British commando landing there in that timespan), but as far off as in the Northern Aegean area. Since your source seems to be Byron Tesapsides, why don't you try and ask him to elaborate further?

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung