MZ 801 bis MZ 820

Begonnen von kgvm, 02 November 2010, 11:22:29

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

kgvm

Diese MZ waren laut italienischer Quelle beim Waffenstillstand in Castellamare di Stabia im Bau.
Erstaunlicherweise kam wohl nur einer davon (wohl "MZ 804") als "F 804" in deutschen Dienst.
http://www.historisches-marinearchiv.de/marinefaehrprahm/ausgabe.php?where_value=879
"F 801" bis "F 803" und "F 805" bis "F 820" dagegen waren wohl deutsche Bauten.
Oder habe ich da andere Boote übersehen?

Darius

de domenico

Dear Klaus, of the twenty MZ 801/820 (MFP Typ D) foreseen only MZ 801 to 804 had actually been laid down by Sept. 8, 1943 (assembly having started as late as June, 1943).  On this point, sources agree (Tullio Marcon, " I muli del mare", 1982, and Erminio Bagnasco, "Le motozattere italiane nella seconda guerra mondiale", Allegato al Notiziario della Marina n. 3, marzo 1998). The numbers had only been attributed on 20 July, 1943. Originally, the delivery of the components to be assembled (all provided by Germany) was to have started in May 1943, so as to ensure the first deliveries by the following August. Actually, the first deliveries of such components took place in the second half of June, so by Sept. 8 only the first four MZs had been laid down and were nearing  launch. As you know, the German Army captured the Castellammare di Stabia naval yard late on Sept. 9 after some fighting, especially with the crew of the light cruiser GIULIO GERMANICO outfitting there. And the Allied troops were by then on the other side of the Monti Lattari chain, at Vietri sul Mare and Maiori: the German evacuation took place about Sept. 27. Therefore it seems extremely unlikely that any of the four MZs was launched, completed, crewed and taken away in that very short interval.
There were at Castellammare on Sept. 8 four MZs under repair, and one more (operational) was at Vico Equense nearby. Of the four, MZ 743, 745 and 792 were all captured but scuttled by the Germans on Sept. 10 or 11 (due to the proximity of the frontline); MZ 753 was taken by her crew from Castellammare to Vico Equense, and there blown up by the German forces on Sept. 9. MZ 704 from Vico Equense, which had  sailed on Sept. 8 before the news of the Armistice northbound for Viareggio (the HQ of the Italian MZ force was then at nearby Forte dei Marmi), was diverted by a German naval unit on Sept. 9 to Torvajanica (between Anzio and Ostia), beached and abandoned: she became the KM F 704. Also, MZ 777 and 795 had  sailed from Naples at  the same time on Sept. 8 and on the same route; they  were also intercepted by a German unit on Sept. 9 and diverted to Civitavecchia: they became F 4777 and 4795.

Regards,
Francesco

kgvm

Many thanks, Francesco.
Only question remaining: which Italian MZ became the German "F 804"??

de domenico

Well, for instance, two Italian MZ were scuttled in La Spezia on 9 Sept.: MZ 736 and 748 (the latter inside a dock). No further news about them.

By the way, Klaus, did you see my answer to the topic "Italian MZ in Port Mahon"?
Please remark the reports about MZ 781 at Capraia and MZ 753 at Castellammare/Vico Equense. Both are missing in historisches-marinearchiv (I sent them to Theodor in November last, at the wrong time I am afraid ..)

kgvm

Yes, Francesco, seen, many thanks. I will include them in the next days.
Regards
Klaus Günther

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung