Bremse in Bergen, Norway 09.04.1940.

Begonnen von PS, 05 März 2018, 09:56:41

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

PS

Hello
Added a part of a Picture showing signal flags used by Bremse in Bergen 09.04.1940.
Is the letters and number right ? And is it possible to find out what signal Bremse is using ?
regards
PS

Peter K.

Hello PAUL!
I think you have identified the flags correctly, but ... the "1" in the mast top indicates that all signals are given not accordingly to the secret "Signalbuch der Kriegsmarine", but according to the "Internationales Signalbuch". So the "W" is in fact a "R", the "P" a "M" and the "Q" a "N" and "R M N" stands for "Dampfer" or "steamer(s)".
Grüße aus Österreich
Peter K.

www.forum-marinearchiv.de

PS

ZitatHello PAUL!
I think you have identified the flags correctly, but ... the "1" in the mast  indicates that all signals are given not accordingly to the secret "Signalbuch der Kriegsmarine", but according to the "Internationales Signalbuch". So the "W" is in fact a "R", the "P" a "M" and the "Q" a "N" and "R M N" stands for "Dampfer" or "steamer(s)"
Hello
Thank you for Your reply and information :-) Makes me wonder why Bremse is using that signal when she is part of a invading force
regards
PS

Peter K.

... perhaps to communicate with a foreign steamer?
Grüße aus Österreich
Peter K.

kgvm

But if so why is she indicating that all signals are given according to the international signalcode?
A foreign steamer isn't supposed to know the secret Kriegsmarine-code!

Peter K.

... because the "1" of the Kriegsmarine-code is equal with the usual "Signal- und Antwortwimpel" or "Signalbuchwimpel" of the international code. As I mentioned before this flag has to be placed in the topp according to the Kriegsmarine rules, if a warship was signalling according to the international code. But it was also to be placed on a very visible place as long as the signalling took place according to the international code, if a warship wants to signal with a merchantman.
Grüße aus Österreich
Peter K.

PS

Hello
Thank you both for Your coments  :-)
regards
PS

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung