Loss of KT 11 and KT 22

Begonnen von de domenico, 02 Mai 2017, 19:28:33

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

de domenico

As far as I know, KT 11, very soon after being  completed on 2.4.1943, was bombed in an air attack and sunk in harbour at Reggio Calabria on 6 May 1943, raised and again bombed in dock while under repair  at Messina on 25 May, becoming a total loss;  while  KT 22, also just completed on 27.4.1943,  was sunk in harbour at Reggio Calabria in another air raid on 24 May. Does anybody have more detailed information on the final days and kind of damage to the two KTs?

Asahi.3

Dear de domenico,

I guess your question is actually about the wreck of a KT off Punta Licosa in Campagnia, i.e. at a location where no KT was lost during WW II. Yes, it could be KT 11 or KT 22.

KT 11 was completed 2.4.1943 and immediately used for supply runs to Africa. On 6.5.1943 she was badly damaged by aerial bombs in Reggio Calabria. On 15.5.1943 she was brought to Messina (i.e. on the other side of the Srait of Messina in Sicily) and docked there. While docked in Messina she was again heavily hit by aerial bombs and considered to be a total loss.

KT 22 was completed on 27.4.1943 and also immediately used for transport duties to Africa. On 24.5.1943 she was hit by aerial bombs in Reggio Calabria. As she was loaded with petrol barrels she burned out completely and was considered to be a total loss.

German troops withdrew from the region around September 1943; both KT wrecks remained in the Allied now controlled ports of Messina and Reggio Calabria.

After WW II both wrecks were towed to Northern Italy for scrapping. It seems that one of these two KT wrecks was lost during this haulage exercise – probably in bad weather  - and sunk off Punta Licosa in Campagnia.

I strongly recommend my book on the history oft eh KTs:
Wilhelm M. DONKO: Die Kriegstransporter KT 1 - 62 der Deutschen Kriegsmarine: Konzept, Einsatz und Verbleib, Berlin 2015, 18 Euro. It contains an executive summary in English.

Best regrads,
Asahi.3 (Wilhelm M. Donko)

Asahi.3

Forgot  to mention: the deceisive air attack on KT 11 while docked at Messina took place on 25.5.1943.

de domenico

Yes, Wilhelm, 
you guessed correctly about the purpose of my question. I have both issues of your book: actually,  as you well know, the suggestion  that the Punta Licosa wreck off Campania could be either of those KTs came from us in AIDMEN, Ass. Italiana di Documentazione Marittima e Navale, namely from Giorgio Spazzapan, for the second issue of the book. I hope that by gathering some more info concerning their loss, the identification of precisely which KT is that could be made easier.
Thank you.

Best regards,
Francesco

Asahi.3

Dear Francesco,

Yes, Mr. Giorgio Spazzapan was my first source of information on this KT wreck off Punta Licosa; I of course mentioned him in this capacity in my book (vol 2, p. 165). The wreck is in a depth of 75 m, there are excellent diving videos on youtube. I am sure you know them, but they could be interesting for some members as for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BdnUjgUdLM&t=302s

Best regards,

Wilhelm

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung