Kriegsmarine and Luftwaffe in Western France - 1943

Begonnen von Tredaou, 08 April 2017, 09:31:30

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

Tredaou

Hello/Bonjour,

A question regarding the Kriegsmarine and the Luftwaffe air cover in Western France.

In the book - German Night Fighters Versus Bomber Command 1943-1945 by Martin W. Bowman, I pointed out this excerpt regarding a Nachtjagd Gruppe - VI./NJG 5. "In late spring 1943 Kammhuber ordered IV./NJG5 to relocate to Rennes, France in defence of the German U-boat bases."

I wondered if it was a request from the Kriegsmarine arising from the several hard bombings of Lorient harbour, then Saint-Nazaire in the beginning of 1943.

Perhaps someone here, among experts of this era, can shed some light on that matter.

Best regards,
Frederic

redfort

Hallo,
:?
Zitat"In late spring 1943 Kammhuber ordered IV./NJG5 to relocate to Rennes, France in defence of the German U-boat bases."

die IV. / NJG 5 wurde erst im Dez. 1942 in Lechfeld und Leipheim aufgestellt und wurde in  Insterburg / Ostpreußen bis 08.43 stationiert.
Danach in Brandis / Sachsen bis Mai 1944.
War unter anderen auch an der Ostfront beim Unternehmen Zitadelle eingesetzt.

Fazit: Die IV. Gruppe / NJG 5 konnte garnicht in Frankreich gewesen sein. Typische Fehlinformationen wie so oft.  8)
Kann sein das es mal in Erwägung gezogen wurde, aber eine angebliche Verlegung - negativ.
Gruß, Axel

Luftwaffe zur See

Tredaou

Hallo Redfort,

I understand very well your answer but I didn't wrote this request without basing the latter on a reliable basis. The excerpt below is only one of those which attest the presence of this unit (...a Staffel only) in Brittany, France. From about mid-February to late June 1943.

"Elements of IV./NJG5 operated under control of the mobile Himmelbett train Sumatra I in Brittanny in the spring of 1943, before moving to the Eastern Front. I will go into detail in this interesting topic in my new series of books." Dr. Theo Boiten (Dr. Theo Boiten is well known as one of the leading experts on the night air war over Europe during the Second World War.)

Best regards,
Frederic

redfort

Hallo Tredaou,
ahhh, jetzt weiss ich worauf man aus ist.

Du meinst diese 3 Nachtjagdeisenbahnzüge Sumatra I bis III ( "Anna Braun, Inge Braun und Lotte Braun" ) der  1./Ln-Flugm.-Abt. (E) z.b.V. 21
= 1./ Luftnachrichten-Flugmelde-Abteilung (Eisenbahn) zur besonderen Verwendung 21

Eine Kommando des NJG 5 ( 1 Schwarm der 10. / NJG 5 ) wurde zusammen mit Nachtjagdeisenbahnzug Sumatra I "Anna Braun" ab den 17.02.1943 in Plounerin eingesetzt zum Schutz der U-Boot Basen in Lorient und St. Nazaire.

Die 10. / NJG 5 wurde ab 01.08.1943 zur 1. / NJG 100 umbenannt.

Interesanntes Thema, bin mal gespannt auf diese Buchreihe. top
Gruß, Axel

Luftwaffe zur See

bettika61

Hello Tredaou,
some background informations
http://www.gyges.dk/Ln%20zbV%202.htm
http://www.gyges.dk/Ln%20zbV%20SUM%201.htm

new information  :MG: https://www.geschichtsspuren.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6876&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20
ZitatSource: BArch RM 35 II/136 Blatt Nr. ?
Januar 1943: Einrichtung von Nachtjagd-Gebieten zum Schutz der U-Bootstützpunkte Lorient und St. Nazaire.
XII. Fliegerkorps hat seit 20.02.43 NJ-Gebiete "Bussard 2" im Umkreis von 80 km um Gerätestellung Ploumerien (20 km ostw. von Morlaix) mit Einsatzhafen Morlaix in Betrieb genommen.
Bezug: Gruppe West gKdos 03514 AL Führstb. vom 6.3.43

XII. Fliegerkorps nimmt voraussichtlich ab Nacht 22./23. Februar 1943 im Umkreis von 60 km um Gerätestellung
Plaintel (9 km SSW St. Brieuc) das Dunkelnachtjagdgebiet (Eisb.) "Bussard 1" in Betrieb. Einsatzhafen für 3. Schwarm 10./NJG 5 ist Dinard.
FS GK XII. Fliegerkorps Ia op Nr. 514/43 gKdos vom 16.2.43 an Lfl. 3
Grüße
Beate

,,Wer sich nicht an die Vergangenheit erinnern kann, ist dazu verdammt, sie zu wiederholen." George Santayana

Tredaou

Hallo Leute,

Thanks a lot for your answers and the links (...that I already know.)

In the excerpt above, a reference is made regarding an order emanating from Kammhuber but my question was to know who had been at the origin of this order - and the true reason of the latter.

As the purpose of this relocation was to protect the U-Boat bases, certainly the Kriegsmarine via Karl Doenitz. A document exists? Is Doenitz speaking about that in its "Memoirs"? During that period I don't see outstanding progress regarding night activities around these harbours, only a few claims regarding lone bombers (...minelaying operations).

I was asking myself if a known feedback or document from the Navy had been made on that, if to involve night-fighters during that period of time had been good or bad.

Best regards,
Frederic

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung