Schnellboot Turist

Begonnen von alo41, 01 April 2017, 10:55:56

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

alo41

Hi

A picknick.

picknick 1a: The S 28 crew
picknick 3a: The S 28 crew being served coffie by finish Lottas?
picknick 5a: By a lake with more crews? The S 28 crew to the left.

I think the photos shows a trip made to the Vihti lake on 25 July. The 1 S-Ftl had lost two comrades when swiming in the sea and all swiming was forbidden. The picknick was a compensation for that. Picknick 1a might show the S 28 crew after the funeral in full dress. Behren writes (page 52) that two from the S 40 crew were burid in Helsinki. Could that have been the two drowning victims?

/Alo
Antworte im deutsch, bitte

alo41

Hi,

Where there two drownings in the S 40 crew or were the deaths from something else? Or is Behrens wrong about S 40?

/Alo

Urs Heßling

moin, Alo,

im KTB der 1. SFltl wird es nicht erwähnt.

Gruß, Urs
"History will tell lies, Sir, as usual" - General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne zu seiner Niederlage bei Saratoga 1777 im Amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg - nicht in Wirklichkeit, aber in George Bernard Shaw`s Bühnenstück "The Devil`s Disciple"

alo41

Thank you Urs,

The next trip for S 28 in Finland was to a nice house. It looks like it was only S 28 that was there. I have seen a photo of this Place in a 2 S-Ftl album as well. What where when is it?

Villa 1a: S 28 with the Leopard Wappen. The flag makes the place look official.
Villa 2a: Probebly S 28 from the other side.
Villa 3a, 4a, 5a: The house. Looks newly built.
Villa 6a: The staff. Looks like a mix of nurses, Lottas, kitchen staff and civilans.
Villa 7a: The album mann washing his shirt for the dinner with the girls. There is something written on the stone.
Villa 8a: The dinner.

/Alo

alo41

And the rest of the photos:

jja60

Hello, Alo

One question and one comment. Can you check if the flag in photo Villa 1a has a swallowtail or a coat of arms? In one of the war diaries of Helsinki Navy base it is written on 20. July that "it must be reminded that swimming in Pohjoissatama is forbidden." Pohjoissatama is north from Katajanokka that had much of naval infrastructure, like piers, yards, barracks. Is it possible that the drownings were for example from minesweepers?

Jari

alo41

Hi Jari,

The flag looks like a standard finish flag without tails.

I have added two Vihit lake pages from an S 103 photo album and the page from Behrens book with the funeral. I think the two are connected but I have not got any proof.
The funeral photos are realy from Helsinki showing the Sandudd cematery. You can see the Chapel in the back ground.

/Alo

alo41

Hi

I think I found the names on the two drowned men. Link: http://www.denkmalprojekt.org/2013/helsinki_kriegsgraeberstaette_frdhf-hietaniemi_wk2_finn.html

Matrose Walter Schneider, 15 July 1941
Matrose Walter Kreuzberg 23 or 24 July 1941

I do not know if they were on a Schnellboot ( S 40?) or on any other boat.

/Alo

jja60

Hello

I have identified the villa. It is a restaurant and accomodation building of the Finnish Tourist Association (Suomen Matkailijayhdistys) located in island Stormälö in Parainen (Pargas). The building was completed in 1941. Today the place is hotel and restaurant Airisto Strand. In their history page http://airistostrand.fi/index_svenska.html is a video clip from 1956 that shows the building at 1:20 minutes and a couple of photos of the building.

So, the "where" has been found out, for "when" you have to check when S 28 was stationed in the west, also in Turku or Saaristomeri area.

Jari

bettika61

Grüße
Beate

,,Wer sich nicht an die Vergangenheit erinnern kann, ist dazu verdammt, sie zu wiederholen." George Santayana

alo41

Excellent Jari :-) :-) :-) :MG:

I have realy tryed to solve it but have not succeded.

The S 28 was with the 2 S-Ftl from the 22 June to 1 July 1941. It must be from that time.

Information from Urs:
22.6.41 Minenunternehmung ,,Eisenach" Irbenstraße (S 27, S 28, S 29, S 45), anschl. Einlaufen Nyhamn
23.6.41 estn. Frachter Estonia (1181 BRT) aufgebracht

24./25.6.41 Minenunternehmung (S 28 (5.) und S 41, S 44, S 46, S 104, S 105, S 106 (2. SFltl)) bei Kap Tachkona

26./27.6.41 Sicherung (S 28 und S 41, S 46 (2. SFltl)) der Minenunternehmung ,,Apolda" (Minenschiff ,,Brummer")

1./2.7.41 Minenunternehmung (S 28 und S 41, S 46 (2. SFltl) und R-Boote) in ,,Apolda"-Sperrlücke

/Alo

jja60

Hello,

Glad to be of help. I was thinking the flag in picture Villa 1a. The Midsummer day is also the Day of the Finnish Flag. The flag is hoisted on Midsummer's eve at 6 PM and flown through the night until 9 PM the next day. Midsummer was always celebrated on 24.6. till year 1954. So could this be on the evening of 23.6. (after 6 PM) or, more likely, on 24.6, also the day before the Kap Tahkona operation?

Jari

Edited the toughts of the dates.

alo41

Hi Jari,

Yes it must be close to midsummer. It was easy to make some "Then and now" once the place is known. There were some more photos that must have been taken on Airisto strand.

Thanks agin
Alo

Urs Heßling

hi,

Zitat von: jja60 am 22 April 2017, 20:49:13
.. the villa. It is a restaurant and accomodation building of the Finnish Tourist Association (Suomen Matkailijayhdistys) located in island Stormälö in Parainen (Pargas). .

So, the "where" has been found out, for "when" you have to check when S 28 was stationed in the west, also in Turku or Saaristomeri area.
S 28 kam gemäß Befehl F.d.T. am 24.6. mittags zum Liegeplatz der 2. SFltl.

Da KptLt Klug der dienstälteste anwesende Kommandant war, führte er die Tahkona-Minenunternehmung; das KTB der 2. SFltl verweist für Einzelheiten auf das KTB der 5. SFltl, die bis zum 1.7. nominell noch bestand.
Die Boote der 2. SFltl waren also für dieses Unternehmen offiziell der 5. SFltl unterstellt, und nicht S 28 der 2. SFltl !

Für die beiden Unternehmungen
26./27.6.41 Sicherung (S 28 und S 41, S 46 (2. SFltl)) der Minenunternehmung ,,Apolda" (Minenschiff ,,Brummer") und
1./2.7.41 Minenunternehmung (S 28 und S 41, S 46 (2. SFltl) und R-Boote) in ,,Apolda"-Sperrlücke
waren S 41 und S 46 offiziell der 5. SFltl zugeteilt

Die 2. SFltl lag in Pensar, das nur ca. 10 sm von Airisto/Stormälö entfernt liegt.

Eine Dokumentation (d.h. das KTB der 5. SFltl für Juni 1941), wo S 28 in der Nacht 23./24.6. und am Vormittag des 24.6. lag, habe ich leider (noch) nicht.

Zitat von: alo41 am 17 April 2017, 21:51:34
The funeral photos are realy from Helsinki showing the Sandudd cematery.
Das obere Bild mit dem Fltl-Chef KptLt Birnbacher als "Erstem Leidtragenden" (chief mourner) ?

Gruß, Urs
"History will tell lies, Sir, as usual" - General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne zu seiner Niederlage bei Saratoga 1777 im Amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg - nicht in Wirklichkeit, aber in George Bernard Shaw`s Bühnenstück "The Devil`s Disciple"

smutje505

Hallo Alo eine sehr schöne Gegenüberstellung der Bilder-früher-heute- top

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung