Search-Kiel Naval Dockyards Superintendent relative

Begonnen von EvaB1945, 26 September 2016, 03:52:13

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

EvaB1945

Hi everyone,

I do need some help. I am searching for a relative of mine that was a Superintendent and oversaw the dockyards at Kiel.

The information I have so far is the following: ( I am sorry these are very rough)

Superintendent of Kiel Naval Dockyards 1920-1931? ( may have also been associated with Hamburg Dockyards as well)
Was also associated with Berlin Naval High Command during this time also and later into possibly WWII. 
Possibly Jewish.
Shipping/Steel Industralist
Possibly Rear Admiral or Above.

I know this is not a lot to go on, but I hope someone out there knows something about this period and help me find my relative.

Thanks
Eva 

Urs Heßling

hello, Eva,

Zitat von: EvaB1945 am 26 September 2016, 03:52:13
I know this is not a lot to go on,
Indeed.

The first task would be to identify "Kiel Naval Dockyards". IMO there's hardly an alternative to assume that it means "Marinearsenal Kiel".

The normal rank of its commading officer was Captain (Kapitän zur See), not Rear Admiral.

But there were several men holding this job during the period you mentioned.
- 1922 von Haxthausen (promoted to Rear Admiral in 1922)
- 1927 Mahrholz
- 1929 Herrmann
- 1930 Brandes

Regrettably, I do not have information for the years in between.

greetings, Urs
"History will tell lies, Sir, as usual" - General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne zu seiner Niederlage bei Saratoga 1777 im Amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg - nicht in Wirklichkeit, aber in George Bernard Shaw`s Bühnenstück "The Devil`s Disciple"

joern

Hallo,
Marinearsenal Kiel
Arsenalkommandanten:
09.1919-03.1920  FKapt./Kz.S. Mönch, Walter
03.1920-06.1920 unbesetzt
06.1920-03.1923 K.z.S./KAdm. v.Haxthausen,Wilhelm
03.1923-09.1925 FKapt./K.z.S. Albrecht,Conrad
09.1925-02.1928 K.z.S. Mahrholz, Erich
03.1928-12.1929 K.z.S. Hermann, Willy
11.1929-03.1932 K.z.S. Brandes, Iwan
03.1932-09.1934 K.z.S. Wehr, Oskar

Grüße Joern

EvaB1945

Zitat von: Urs Heßling am 26 September 2016, 12:18:45
hello, Eva,

Indeed.

The first task would be to identify "Kiel Naval Dockyards". IMO there's hardly an alternative to assume that it means "Marinearsenal Kiel".

The normal rank of its commading officer was Captain (Kapitän zur See), not Rear Admiral.

But there were several men holding this job during the period you mentioned.
- 1922 von Haxthausen (promoted to Rear Admiral in 1922)
- 1927 Mahrholz
- 1929 Herrmann
- 1930 Brandes

Regrettably, I do not have information for the years in between.

greetings, Urs

Hi Urs!

Many thanks!  :TU:)

I am looking for the years of 1924 up until 1929 perhaps 1930. Do you happen to have first names for these gentleman?

Also were there any Schlueter's in this position? This is one of the possible surnames I have for this relative, but it is a rough one still.

Thanks for the correction I had read on another Kiel Marine History page that it was the rank of Rear Admiral and above.

Also would Kapitan's have access to Naval High Command in Berlin? This is one of the stand out qualities that my relative seemed to have had, a close relationship with the Commander in Chief of the German Navy of that time period.

Thanks for your time and hear from you again soon!
Eva x

EvaB1945

Zitat von: joern am 26 September 2016, 12:45:04
Hallo,
Marinearsenal Kiel
Arsenalkommandanten:
09.1919-03.1920  FKapt./Kz.S. Mönch, Walter
03.1920-06.1920 unbesetzt
06.1920-03.1923 K.z.S./KAdm. v.Haxthausen,Wilhelm
03.1923-09.1925 FKapt./K.z.S. Albrecht,Conrad
09.1925-02.1928 K.z.S. Mahrholz, Erich
03.1928-12.1929 K.z.S. Hermann, Willy
11.1929-03.1932 K.z.S. Brandes, Iwan
03.1932-09.1934 K.z.S. Wehr, Oskar

Grüße Joern

Many many thank yous! I will research these names! many thanks!

Eva

Urs Heßling

hi, Eva

Zitat von: EvaB1945 am 26 September 2016, 12:49:31
Also were there any Schlueter's in this position?
None which I know of.

Zitat von: EvaB1945 am 26 September 2016, 12:49:31
Also would Kapitan's have access to Naval High Command in Berlin?
Very probably yes.

Gruß, Urs
"History will tell lies, Sir, as usual" - General "Gentleman Johnny" Burgoyne zu seiner Niederlage bei Saratoga 1777 im Amerikanischen Unabhängigkeitskrieg - nicht in Wirklichkeit, aber in George Bernard Shaw`s Bühnenstück "The Devil`s Disciple"

MarkusL

Hi,
the largest part of the "Kiel Naval/Imperial Dockyard" had been switched over to Deutsche Werke Kiel AG. Stock exchange company in full state hands.
Beside the Board of Supervisors for around 1925 I can find a group of 3 CEO's/Directors, Hansen, Serno, Toussaint.
On the other hand later the former private Howaldtswerke Kiel yard for a very short time formed Kiel Naval Yard. The only Kiel Yard that had a direct connection to Hamburg facility of same name.
For the mid 20's a "Director Oskar Schlitter, Berlin" is mentioned as member of the board. Only name that comes close to Schlueter.
Kind regards
Markus

Peter K.

Hello EVA!
I took a look in the "Jahrbuch der Schiffbautechnischen Gesellschaft" and found Mr. Fr. SCHLUETER, a former Marine-Bauinspektor resp. Marine-Baurat, as a member of this association since 1899, who was mentioned the last time in the yearbook of 1941. Unfortunately he was mostly living in Berlin, but I havn´t checked all books.
Greetings
Grüße aus Österreich
Peter K.

www.forum-marinearchiv.de

EvaB1945

Zitat von: MarkusL am 26 September 2016, 17:42:42
Hi,
the largest part of the "Kiel Naval/Imperial Dockyard" had been switched over to Deutsche Werke Kiel AG. Stock exchange company in full state hands.
Beside the Board of Supervisors for around 1925 I can find a group of 3 CEO's/Directors, Hansen, Serno, Toussaint.
On the other hand later the former private Howaldtswerke Kiel yard for a very short time formed Kiel Naval Yard. The only Kiel Yard that had a direct connection to Hamburg facility of same name.
For the mid 20's a "Director Oskar Schlitter, Berlin" is mentioned as member of the board. Only name that comes close to Schlueter.
Kind regards
Markus

Many thanks Markus!   :TU:)

Unfortunately as I mentioned in my first post I do not have much biographical information to go off. Do you know or can direct me to any more information for "Director Oskar Schlitter, Berlin"? You can PM me if you like.

That Hansen name seems familiar... Is that Gottlieb/Gottfried Hansen??  ::/

Another thing... Why would a stock exchange company have a interest in overseeing a Naval Dockyard? ::/

Eva.

Zitat von: Peter K. am 26 September 2016, 22:26:33
Hello EVA!
I took a look in the "Jahrbuch der Schiffbautechnischen Gesellschaft" and found Mr. Fr. SCHLUETER, a former Marine-Bauinspektor resp. Marine-Baurat, as a member of this association since 1899, who was mentioned the last time in the yearbook of 1941. Unfortunately he was mostly living in Berlin, but I havn´t checked all books.
Greetings

Hello Peter!

Do you have any other biographical information for him? Or even a suburb of where he lived in Berlin? I know he had ties to Berlin and also lived in Berlin.

Do you know what happened to him after 1941?

Eva .

Peter K.

Here is what I found after a deeper look in the mentioned yearbooks about Fr. SCHLUETER:

1900-01 Marine-Bauinspektor a.D., Düsseldorf, Worringerstraße 112
1902-08 Marine-Bauinspektor a.D., Technischer Direktor der Röhrenkesselfabrik Dürr, Düsseldorf, Worringerstraße 112
1909      Marine-Bauinspektor a.D., Technischer Direktor der Röhrenkesselfabrik Dürr, Düsseldorf, Goethe-Straße 22
1910      Marine-Bauinspektor a.D., Technischer Direktor der Röhrenkesselfabrik Dürr, Düsseldorf, Linden-Straße 235
1911-16 Marine-Bauinspektor a.D., Technischer Direktor der Röhrenkesselfabrik Dürr, Cöln, Teutoburgerstraße 27
1917      Marine-Bauinspektor a.D., Berlin-Halensee, Hektorstraße 6
1918      Marine-Baurat a.D., Berlin-Halensee, Hektorstraße 6
1919      no member-list included
1920-21 Marine-Baurat a.D., Berlin-Wilmersdorf, Holsteinische Straße 28
1922-23 Marine-Baurat a.D., Berlin-W15, Uhlandstraße 43
1924      no member-list included
1925-27 Marine-Baurat a.D., Berlin-W15, Uhlandstraße 43
1928-29 Marine-Baurat a.D., Berlin-W15, Pariser Straße 20
1930      no member-list included
1931-35 Marine-Baurat a.D., Berlin-W15, Pariser Straße 20
1936      Marine-Baurat a.D., Berlin-Schöneberg, Wartburgstraße 19
1937-42 Marine-Baurat a.D., Berlin-Lankwitz, Bruckwitzstraße 14
1943-49 no yearbooks published
1950-51 no member-list included
1952      not mentioned
Grüße aus Österreich
Peter K.

www.forum-marinearchiv.de

MarkusL

Hi Eva,
to the more easier question of turning most of the Kiel Imperial Dockyard into the Deutsche Werke Kiel AG.
After the loss of the Imperial Battlefleet and the Kiel Dockyard being stripped of its two large battleship floating docks plus must of the smaller floating docks it had been simply reformed by the Government into an officially private stock exchange company but with all the stocks in hand of the Reich. Only to keep the leftover building and repair facilities running and give them the chance to receive contracts from the market. After WW II all the facility has been rated state owned without making a difference of naval yards and stock exchange companies in 100% government hands.
Staff has been for surely mostly the same as at the Imperial Dockyard. Or at least what has been left over from workforce after WWI. So I'm almost sure the higher ranking managers have been naval officers or engineers before.
Will try to find out more on "Oskar Schlitter" and "Hansen" (unfortunately a very common name, especially in Northern Germany) but maybe someone else here is faster.
Kind regards
Markus

MarkusL

Hi Eva,
the "Jahrbuch der Schiffbautechnischen Gesellschaft" Peter already quoted mentions for
HEINRICH Hansen, Berlin-Steglitz, Schlosstrasse 10, from 1926/27 on
later
Ploen(Plön), Holstein (close to Kiel), Seestrasse 4
The 1937 to 1942 editions mention him as being retired (probably from 1936 on) as Director (CEO) of Deutsche Werke.
Nothing on Oskar Schlitter. I'll do some extra research on him next week.
All the best
Markus

EvaB1945

Hello!

Sorry I have been a little bit AWOL. Thanks for all the information!

I will be back later on after I research all these!

Thank you!
Eva

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung