Go Navy Forever

Begonnen von Rolfo, 21 August 2016, 23:15:25

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

Rolfo

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Baunummer 509

Es scheint so, als hätten die Amis, im Gegensatz zu uns, ihre Identität nicht aufgegeben.

Tolle Geste!

RonnyM

...und Obelix würde sagen... :biggre:

Grüße Ronny
...keen Tähn im Muul,
over La Paloma fleuten...

Baunummer 509

...ich bin nicht dick?  :-D

Rolfo

A little background on the video:

Jonathan Williams is the brother of a friend of mine, Bob Willimas, with which I worked closely during my time in ANSI. Bob was in charge of UL. UL is a global independent safety science company with more than a century of expertise innovating safety solutions.

https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.williams.56614/videos/10210231043601412/

People have asked me about the story of the video. Here it goes. My grandfather served on the USS Tennessee prior to WWII and the USS Missouri during WWII, ultimately witnessing the end of WWII. He has become one of my best friends and is the reason that I became involved in saving the USS Iowa from scrap. When he lost my grandmother, the one thing he wanted to do was visit his ship (USS Missouri) again. We visited his ship together in 2000 and I was able to experience what these museum ships meant to veterans. I witnessed an 82 year old man become 18 again and a flood of emotions that affected all that were present tremendously. When I returned home, I was so incredibly impacted by this experience that I felt other veterans should be able to experience this. I was blessed to find out that the USS Iowa (sister to the MISSOURI) needed to be saved and I decided to partner with amazing people and make it my life's work to preserve IOWA for other veterans. We accomplished this and today I am blessed to serve as the CEO of the Battleship IOWA Museum in Los Angeles – 15 minutes from my grandfather's home. We honor all veterans daily by announcing them on board when they visit with their families (just heard one as I write this). The emotional experience this provides them is the same one I felt 16 years ago. My grandfather joined the IOWA Museum Crew with other WWII veterans (such as Bob Despain from the USS Hoel) to come to the ship on Sundays and meet the public and tell their story. These public interactions have greatly influenced future generations, the public, and current Navy personnel on the importance of history, patriotism, and military/veteran appreciation. The Fleet Anti-Submarine Warfare Training Center has made it part of Chief Select for 2 years to meet these WWII veterans. When they found out that my grandfather was unable to visit the ship lately due to health reasons, they decided to take it to him. They worked with the IOWA Volunteer Coordinator to arrange the surprise visit and when the day arrived he was surprised! The video shows the culmination of the planning and the amazing efforts of all involved. Neighbors came out of their houses to witness a once in a lifetime experience. My grandfather told me that it was one of the best days of his life! I am humbled by the efforts these young men and women to do this for my grandfather. Our IOWA crew tries to do this daily for all veterans and their families, it is our small gesture to let them know that we appreciate them.

t-geronimo

Nett. Aber warum wieder auf englisch?
Gruß, Thorsten

"There is every possibility that things are going to change completely."
(Captain Tennant, HMS Repulse, 09.12.1941)

Forum MarineArchiv / Historisches MarineArchiv

Redfive

Thorsten, ganz einfach, weil wir ein deutsches Forum sind.  :-P
Und du darfst nicht vergessen, als Vasallenstaat muß man die Sprache des Besitzers sprechen.  :OuuO:
Werft: Schwerer Kreuzer Prinz Eugen, Leichter Kreuzer Nürnberg

Rolfo

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video speaks for itself.

Ich dachte, dass wenn ein Bild 1000 Worte wert ist, dann muesste ein Video entsprechend mehr Wert sein und deshalb waere eine  Uebersetzung ueberfluessig.

Etwas zu dem Hintergrund des Videos:

Jonathan Williams ist der Bruder von meinem Freund Bob Williams. Als ich noch fuer ANSI arbeitete als Chairman fuer die US Industry Company Member Forum, arbeitete ich sehr eng mit Bob zusammen, der damals der CEO von UL war.
UL is a global independent safety science company with more than a century of expertise innovating safety solutions.

Hier ist was Jonathan zu dem Video zu sagen hatte:
Mein Großvater war auf der USS Tennessee vor dem Zweiten Weltkrieg und der USS Missouri im Zweiten Weltkrieg, und hat dort das Ende des Zweiten Weltkriegs erlebt.
Er ist mein bester Freund und der Grund, dass ich bei der Rettung der USS Iowa von der Verschrottung beteiligt wurde.
Als meine Großmutter starb war der einzige Wunsch von ihm noch einmal sein Schiff die (USS Missouri) zu  besuchen.  Wir besuchten sein Schiff im Jahr 2000 zusammen und ich lernte hier was es heist fuer Veteranen noch einmal die Planken ihrer Vergangenheit zu beschreiten. Ich erlebte wie ein 82 Jahre alter Mann wieder 18 Jahre jung wurde.
Als ich nach Hause kam, war ich so von dieser Erfahrung geprägt, dass ich mich entschloss an dem Navy program fuer Museumschiffe zu beteiligen. Als ich erfehr, dass die USS Iowa (Schwesterschiff  der Missouri) eingemottet werden sollte mit aehnlich motivierten Menschen dieses Schiff fuer die Navy Veteranen zu erhalten. Wir waren erfolgreif und ich bin heute der CEO des Battleship IOWA Museum in Los Angeles.
Die Iowa liegt nur 15 Minuten von dem Hause meines Großvaters entfernt im Hafen und wird täglich von Nay Veteranen bescucht.  Mein Großvater trat der IOWA Museum Besatzungs Forum bei und als seine Kameraden erfuhren, dass er aus gesundheitlichen Gründen die Iowa nicht besuchen kann, entschlossen sie sich ihn zu besuchen
Das war nicht nur ein Überraschungsbesuch fuer meinen Grossvater sondern auch fuer seine Nachbarn.

RonnyM

...na also, geht doch... top

Grüße Ronny
...keen Tähn im Muul,
over La Paloma fleuten...

Bugsierstefan

Ich hatte in den USA mal das Glück, als Tourist bei einer Parade zum Veteransday zu sein ! War wirklich beeindruckt von dem, was ich da so sah und erlebte!!!

So etwas wäre hierzulande undenkbar! Und mein Gefühl, auf dem "verkehrten Dampfer" zu sein, wuchs immer mehr..... :-P

:MG:

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung