Attacks by German special boats in January 1945

Begonnen von cam, 08 März 2021, 14:23:55

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

Violoncello

Hi Cam,

TNA ADM 223/598 Operation Bonito (Small Battle Units). Operations of assault craft on WCoast Italy 4.7.44-2.5.45 might be helpful. But it`s writen in a not very easy readable handwriting. The British Naval Intelligence estimated the number of the assaulter up to one or two SMA an four to six MTM. Two MTM were claimed to be scuttled by fire of the coast-batteries. A further one had be set into fire by an air attack. Two soldiers had been taken prisoners of war.

Kind regards

Violoncello

cam

Thanks again Violoncello.  top top top
As far as I understand, there is no information about damaged or sunk Allied ships, or damaged coastal facilities. I have not found. The Allies must have sunk more boats - I read that the boat drivers who made it to the shore were captured and shot by the partisans.

Violoncello

Hi Cam,
yes, you are right. The SMA`s and MTM`s had no chance to arrive the harbour of Livorno. The alliied forces suffered no material or human losses. There are no robust figures how much drivers of the assault boats were killed in action, were drowned after loss of their boats or were killed by partisans after reaching the coast. After many hours in the water some MTM-drivers were rescued by an US-corvette on 24 April 1945.
Kind regards
Violoncello

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung