German Imperial Navy postcard collection

Begonnen von alexfranke, 20 August 2009, 04:06:35

Vorheriges Thema - Nächstes Thema

alexfranke

Hello everyone. Mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut :-(, but I am told that most of you are good with English, so I hope that you will please kindly tolerate my English posts.

I came across this forum looking for a definition of a term that my Opa used to describe part of the ship he emigrated on back in 1930. So far every member I've met had been very kind, and my question was answered within minutes!  :-) I learned that the members here were very interested in ships of the German Navy in WWI. My Opa was in the German Navy before and during WWI, and made an effort to find and send home every postcard he could find that featured his navy.

And so I have about 300 or so of those postcards that I intend to scan over time and put up on my website. The ships range from the mid 1850's to the 1910's. There are maybe 250 or so different ships, and probably 50 or so that can be categorized as "miscellaneous navy life."

I can't read the handwriting, so I don't know how personal or historically significant the notes are. I HOPE that kind people will tell me what they say, or at least alert me if there is one online that might be too personal or better left hidden. I would LOVE to get these all translated some day, but my German-speaking contacts are working on another, larger translation project at the moment.

I put up the first eight cards, in no particular order on my family website here:

Postcard Collection Index Page

I'll try to do eight at a time. Please let me know if these photos are of interest to you, or if you have any suggestions on them. Thank you!! Ich habe viel Deutsch vergessen. Ich muss weider lernen!

Online at: http://www.thefrankes.com
"Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Big A

Hi! Welcome to our Forum.

I gave the postcards a try.
Below, you'll find the German text and an Englisch translation in order as posted on your homepage (well done, btw)

Liebe Lotte,    Kiel, 3,2,15
Herzlichen Dank für Erhalt Deines Briefes. Es hat mich sehr betrübt, daß Dein Finger wieder schlimmer geworden ist. Brauchst Du ihn auch tüchtig? Da gehe doch noch zum Arztun lasse in kurieren. Hoffentlcih schreibst Dubald erfreuliches hierüber wieder.
Dich vielmals herzlich grüßend bin ich in Freude Dein Ernst

Dear Lotte,
many thanks for the reception of your letter. It made me sad that your finger is worse again. Do you use it hearty? Better go to the doctor and have it cured properly. Hope to hear better news about this matter soon.
Many affectionate greetings, I am cheerfully with you, your Ernst

2.Liebe Lotte    Kiel, 16.4.15
Mein Bruder Heinrich ist jetzt auch Soldat geworden, und genau bein Inf.Reg 156 (Infanterie Regiment) in Lübthen O.S. (=Oberschlesien), (Landsturm mit Waffen) Es kommt ihm alles sehr ungewohnt vor. Wie geht es Dir nochmein Lieb?
Es grüßt Dich vielmals herzlich Dein treuer Ernst

Dear Lotte,
my brother Heinrich is a soldier now, too, more precisely at the infantry regiment 156 in Upper Silesia.(Landsturm mit Waffen = description of the unit) It is all very unfamiliar for him. How are you my dear?
Many affectionate greetings from you truthful Ernst

3. Lieber Ernst    9.8.
Habe Deine Karte erhalten. Bekannte sagt, dass Du nicht da warst. Komm doch Sonntag um 3 an Bord hinzu bei Interesse.
Herzlich Grüße Georg

Dear Ernst,
received your card. Friend (in German in the female gender) said you were not there. If interested come aboard Sunday at 3.
Kind regards, Georg

4.Liebe Lotte   Kiel, 3.6.15
Heute bekam ich von meinem Onkel aus Krefeld ein kleines Päckchen mit Zigarren usw über das ich mich sehr freute, ebenfalls bekam ich auch noch ein Bild meines Großvaters. Das umseitig abgebildete Boot ist im vorigen Jahre beim Seegefecht bei Helgoland untergegangen.
Sei vielmals gegrüßt von Deinem dich treu liebenden Ernst

Dear Lotte!
Today I received a small parcel from my oncle in Krefeld with cigars etc, I also received a picture from my grandfather. The boat pictured on the other side sank last year during the seabattle of Heligoland.
Many hearty greetings from your devotedly loving Ernst

5.Liebe Lotte,    Kiel,30.8.15
Meine Karte von gestern wirst Du wohl erhalten haben. Wir hatten wieder Regenwetter hier und es wurde aus der geplanten Spazierfahrt nichts. Ich blieb unterwegs in (unleserlich) bei einem Konzert hängen, welches letzlich allerdings recht mäßig war.
Sei Du vielmals herzlich gegrüßt von Deinem treuen Ernst

Dear Lotte!
You will have received my card from yesterday. We had rainy weather here and our planed pleasure trip was cancelled. I was stuck in (illegible) at a concert that turned out to be so-so.
Many hearty greetings from your truthful Ernst

6. Liebe Lotte,  Kiel, 2.8.15
Der gestrige Nachmittag war wieder mal sehr schön. Ich habe mit einem Kameraden von der "Str" eine Bootspartie unternommen, wir hatten mäßige Brise und fast dazu wund(erbaren) Sonnenschein. Da hättest Du mit sein müssen.

Dear Lotte,
yesterday afternoon was again very nice. Together with a comrade from "Str" I took a boat ride. We had a moderate breeze and almost fantasic sunshine. You should have been with us,

7. Liebe Lotte!  Kiel, 11.5.17
Deinen lieben Brief habe ich erhalten und ich danke Dir sehr dafür. Umstehend siehst Du wie ein Oceandampfer ein Segelschiff überrennt. Ähnlich haben wir auch mit der "Gneisenau" im Kattegat ein Kriegsschiff angefahren.

Dear Lotte,
I received your devoted letter and I thank you very much. On the other side you see how an ocean liner runs over a sailing ship. We similarily rammed a warship with the "Gneisenau" in the Kattegat

8.Liebe Lotte,   Kiel, 24.11.15
Herzlichen Dank für Deinen lieben Kartenbrief. Es freut mich, daß Jahannes Dir wieder geschrieben hat, ebenso freut es mich daß Du Deine Augen recht schonen wirst, denn wir möchten uns doch später noch gerne in die Augen schauen, nicht wahr Lieb? Hoffentlich erhaltet ihr wieder Arbeit

Dear Lotte.
Many thanks for your devoted letter. I am happy that Johannes wrote again, also, I am happy that you willtreat your eyes with care, because want want look into each others eyes in the future, am I right, dear? Hopefully you will be employed again,

I hope I could be of some help,

Axel
Weapons are no good unless there are guts on both sides of the bayonet.
(Gen. Walter Kruger, 6th Army)

Real men don't need experts to tell them whose asses to kick.

alexfranke

WOW!  :-o

I'm stunned and very grateful! If you don't mind, I would also like to post these as a comment on the original post on my blog website.

This is great stuff. Thank you so much!

ZitatWe similarily rammed a warship with the "Gneisenau" in the Kattegat

Now THAT must be quite an experience! I wish he had written what ship that was, but I suppose that kind of thing is already in historical accounts somewhere.
"Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

alexfranke

I added another set of 8 postcards here:
http://www.thefrankes.com/wp/?p=242

Also, Opa had what looks like a position chart of his trip to the Far East on the warship S.M.S. Gneisenau and a Marine Album from 1910 with lots of pictures and German text about the navy and its ships. I put a couple of photos here -- let me know if you'd like to to try to get more pictures out of this book. It's large and probably difficult to scan, but I can give it a try.
http://www.thefrankes.com/wp/?p=269

Of course I welcome any comments!

I assume I should keep posting more updates to the same thread. Is this correct?

Big A

ZitatIf you don't mind, I would also like to post these as a comment on the original post on my blog website. /quote]

No problem at all.

I'll give the new postings a try, just give an hour or two...

Axel

Big A

The postcards are really interesting. Did you notice the change of the adress of Miss Charlotte Fink, first she lives in Heinrichstrasse in Stettin, cards dating from 1917 are adressed to Küstenmühle.

Ok, here we go:

1. Liebe Lotte!   Kiel, 6.8.15
Gestern haben wir einen militärischen Ausflug unternommen und wurden am Spätnachmittag von einem heftigen Gewitter überrascht, der uns über 2 Stunden festhielt. Spät am Abend kamen wir erst wieder hier an. Tüchtig geschwitzt haben wir. - Sei vielmals herzlich gegrüßt von Deinem treuen Ernst

Dear Lotte!  Kiel, 6.8.15
Yesterday we went on a military trip are were surprised by a violent tempest that kept uns in place for two hours. It wasn't untill late in the evening that we arrived here again. We had a good sweating.
Many affectionate greetings from you truthful Ernst

2.Liebe Lotte!  Kiel, den 20.12.16
Heute erhielt ich eine Karte von Amalie, die mir mitteilte, daß meine Angehörigen mein Paket erhalten haben und sich sehr darüber freuten. Wie geht es Dir mein Lieb? Sei vielmals herzlich gegrüßt von Deinem treuen Ernst

Dear Lotte!  Kiel, 20.12.16
Today I received a card from Amalie who informed me that my relatives have received my package and were delighted.
How are you, dear? Many affectionate greetings from you truthful Ernst

3. Liebe Lotte!  Kiel, 17.12.14
Unsere Flotte hat gerade wieder den Engländern einen gehörigen Schrecken eingejagt. Möge es uns bald vergönnt sein den Verlust bei den Falklandinseln zu rächen. Ich hoffe Dich noch recht gesund und grüße Dich vielmals herzlich, Dein Dich treu liebender Ernst

Dear Lotte!  Kiel, 17.12.14
Our fleet administered a good shock to the English. May we soon get the chance to revenge the losses at the Falkland Islands. I hope you are very well and send many affectionate greetings, you truely loving Ernst

4. Liebe Lotte!  Kiel, 26.3.17
Anbei ein Vertreter unserer stolzen Truppe. Die Karikatur bedarf jedoch inzwischen einer Berichtigung, da die Beule infolge der (unleserlich) Kost nach innen geschlagen ist, unser Vertreter also einen sogen.(nannten) Vakuum- oder Minusbauch haben müsste. Sei vielmals herzlich gegrüßt von Deinem treuen Ernst

Dear Lotte!  Kiel, 26.3.17
Opposite is a representative of our proud unit. The caricature is now in need of a correction, because the bulge has turned inwards, due to our (illegible) food, our representative now has a so called vacuum- or minusstomach. Many affectionate greetings from you truthful Ernst

5. Liebe Lotte!  Kiel, d. 3.5.15
Von dem großen Sieg in den Karpathen (?) wirst Du wohl auch gelesen haben und Dich auch wie ich darüber freuen. War gestern in Stettin schönes Wetter und habt ihr wieder einen Spaziergang unternommen? Wie steht es mit Deinem Magen? Es sind doch hoffentlich keine ernstlichen Beschwerden? Wünsche Dir gute Besserung.  Sei vielmals herzlich gegrüßt von Deinem treuen Ernst
Herzliche Grüße an Deine lieben Anghörigen

Dear Lotte!  Kiel. 3.5.15
You will have read about the great victory in the Carpathians (?) and like me you were delighted. Has there been good weather at Stettin yesterday and did you go for a walk again? How about your stomach? Hopefully there are no serious troubles. Get well soon. Many affectionate greetings from you truthful Ernst
All the best to your dear relatives

6. Lieber Ernst!  Stettin, 20.4.15
Herzlichen Dank für Deine Karte mit den U-Booten. Deinen lieben Brief erhielt ich auch heute und bedanke mich vielmals. Die Turnkleidung wirst Du wohl schon inzwischen bekommen haben, hast Du Diensttag schon mitturnen können? Mir geht es noch gut, hoffe das Gleiche von Dir. Mit vielen herzlichen Grüßen bin ich Deine treue Lotte.

Dear Ernst!  Stettin, 20.4.15
Many thanks for your card with the submarines. Today I also received your lovely letter und say many thanks. You might well have received the sportsdress by now, have you taken part in gymnastics on Tuesday? I am still fine and hope the same from you. With many affectionate greetings I am your truthful Lotte

7. Liebe Lotte!  Kiel, d. 17.1.15
Soeben erhielt ich von meinem Bruder Ludwig die Nachricht, daß die Schlüssel am 14. Dez. in (unleserlich) angekomemn sind. Die haben aber eine lange Reise gemacht. Anbei ein moderner großer Kreuzer im Bilde. Viele herzliche Grüße sendet Dir Dein (Dein? unleserlich) tr. Ernst

Dear Lotte! Kiel, 17.1.15
I just received the news for my brother Ludwig that the keys have arrived on Dez. 14 in (illegible). They have been on a long journey. Enclosed a picture of a modern heavy cruiser. Many affectionate greetings from your (? seems he has written "your" = Dein twice) truthful Ernst

8. Liebe Lotte!  Kiel, 18.1.15
Hiermit sende ich Dir eine Ansicht des untergegangenen kl. Kreuzers Hela - Wie Dein Befinden mein Lieb? Dich vielmals herzlích grüßend bin ich Treue, Dein Ernst.

Dear Lotte!  Kiel, 18.1.15
I am sending you a picture of the sunken light cruiser Hela - How are you, dear? Many affectionate greetings from your truthful Ernst

Sorry, some words were illegible, at least for me. In some words the spelling differs from modern German, but I used the words in the way they were written (just a hint to ward of any watchdogs for proper use German :-D :wink: :-D)

Hope you like it

Axel

alexfranke

Zitat von: Big A am 21 August 2009, 08:54:00
The postcards are really interesting. Did you notice the change of the adress of Miss Charlotte Fink, first she lives in Heinrichstrasse in Stettin, cards dating from 1917 are adressed to Küstenmühle.

Sorry, some words were illegible, at least for me. In some words the spelling differs from modern German, but I used the words in the way they were written (just a hint to ward of any watchdogs for proper use German :-D :wink: :-D)

Hope you like it

Wow, Axel -- this is just fantastic. Thank you *so much* for your help on these. I'm so grateful to be able to finally read these words. It makes the history really come alive!

No, I did not notice the address change. I'll have to make note of that, too. I think my Oma's family was originally from Stettin, which I believe is now actually a part of Poland called Szczecin. But I did not know about Küstenmühle -- I have to see if I can figure out where that is/was. You are giving me a lot to research and learn, and I appreciate it very much!!

I'll keep posting scans to this thread, but I don't want to wear you out! I already owe you a good hearty American beer or two (which, of course to a European will probably taste like water! :lol:).

alexfranke

I posted two more sets. I'm going to start updating the first post in this thread with the new links for the convenience of new readers.

Enjoy! :)

New:
Set 3: 4 Personen, 4 Schiffe (1 duplicate)
Set 4: 8 Schiffe

Previously posted:
Set 1: 7 Schiffe, 1 Grafik
Set 2: 6 Schiffe, 1 Grafik, 1 andere

Alas... I do not see a way to edit my original post :(

Big A

Hi across the pond,

I'll send the next translations in an hour or two! It's fun to use the skills in reading old German letters. I used to write like that to my grandmother! Way back n elementary school in the sixties I had to learn the old fashined German writing. All of us who had a bad handwirting had to learn that to improve our "normal" handwriting" and I still remenber Miss Urban (she was sixty something at that time) telling me that she thought me being unable to ever develop a proper handwriting! Guess what, I think she was right :cry:
Nevertheless, if I come over again we could have an O'Doole's as I don't drink any alcohol...,

More soon, will get to work now, and, time permitting, you'll have a new post by noon

Axel

Big A

Just a hint: Küstenmühle must have been a street in Stettin (you're right, it is in Poland now), so Lotte or Charlotte must have moved within the city limits.

Set 3:

1. Lieber Ernst!  Stettin, den 22.11.14
Deine Karte vom 19. kam in meinen Besitz, ich danke Dir herzlich. Wir freuen uns sehr, daß Dir der Salat gut schmeckt - Wir haben uns sehr traurige Kunde erhalten, Walter Cizelski ist bei Ypern gefallen. Es tut uns sehr leid, er war ein netter Mensch. Wie geht es Dir? Was machen die... (copyright mark over rest)
Grüße von uns allen und von D.(einer) Lotte

Dear Ernst! Stettin, 22.11.14
Your card dating the 19th came into my hands, thank you very much. We are delighted that you like the salad. e got sad news, Walter Cizelski fell at Ypres. We are sorry, he was a nice man. How are you? What about your....
Greetings from all of us and from your Lotte

2. Liebe Lotte! Kiel, 17.10.16
Anbei erhälst Du das gewünschte Bild von KptLt Mücke (= he was CO of Cruiser "Emden", as far as I know). Hoffentlich ist dies Format richtig. Mußte lange danach suchen und war dies Bild das letzte Exemplar des betr. Ladens und hing im Schaufenster. Wie ist Dein Befinden mein Lieb? Sei vielmals herzlich gegrüßt von Deinem treuen Ernst.
Eben klingelt es in meinem Ohr, denkst Du an mich?

Dear Lotte! Kiel, 17.10.16
Overleaf I am sending you the requested picture of Lt. Mücke. I hope the format is correct. Had to search for a long time and this picture was the last copy of said store and hung in the window. How are you my dear?
Many affectionate greetings from your truthful Ernst
Right now it's ringing in my ear, are you remembering me?

3. Lieber Ernst!  Stettin, 28.11.15
Herzlichen Dank für die heute erhaltene Karte. Es hat mir Freude bereitet daß Du durch das Bild an mich erinnert wurdest. Lieber Ernst, nun fehlt mir noch die Ansicht der Grüntaler Hochbrücke; wenn Du sie irgendwo erstehst, sende sie mir zur Vervollständigung meines Albums ja, bitte? Geht es Dir noch gut? Herzliche Sonntagsgrüße ...(copyright mark over rest)

Dear Ernst!  Stettin, 28.11.08
Many thanks for the card I received today. It made me happy that the picture made you think of me! Dear Ernst, now I need only a picture ofthe high bridge at Grüntal; if you could buy it somewhere, please send it to complete my collector's album, yes? How are you? Affectionate Sunday greetings.....

4. Liebe Lotte!  Kiel, 4.10.16
Heute erhielt ich aus Berlin eine Karte. Vater hat Johannes noch angetroffen, er wohnt jetzt Berlin S.W. Zimmerstr (?) 11 /2, Tekla und Herr Koll sind jetzt auch umgezogen, sie wohnen jetzt Worbusterstr. 8 II r. Hoffentlich bleibt Johannes noch ein paar Tage. Sei vielmals herzlich gegrüßt von Deinem treuen Ernst.

Dear Lotte!  Kiel, 4.10.16
Today I received a card from Berlin. Vater has met Johannes, he now lives in Berlin, S.W. Zimmerstr. 11 / 2; Tekla and Mr. Koll have moved, too, they now live at Worbusterstr. 8 Ii r. I hope that Jahannes will stay for a few days.

5. Liebe Lotte!  Kiel, 30.4.15
Heute hatten wir recht trübes und kühles Wetter, man ist mit den schönen Tagen schon sehr verwöhnt worden. Unsere Zeppeline sind ja auch mal wieder in England gewesen. Hoffentlich werden auch die Russen bald aus den Karpathen und Galizien geworfen. Wie ist Dein Befinden noch mein Lieb? Mir geht es noch gut. Sei vielmals herzlich gegrüßt von Deinem treuen Ernst.

Dear Lotte!  Kiel, 30.4.15
Today, we had cloudy and cool weather, we were pretty spoiled by the beautiful days. Our zeppelines have been in England again. Hopefully the Russinas will be thrown out of the Carpathians and Galicia. How are you my dear?

6.Liebe Lotte!  Kiel, d. 20.7.15
Herzlichen Dank für Deinen lieben Brief und Karte die mich sehr erfreuten. Ich ersehe daraus, daß Du Dich über die verzögerten Ankünfte meiner Schreiben wieder beruhigt hast. Heute gehts wieder zum Turnen, habe hier noch immer Regenwetter. Sei herzlich gegrüßt von Deinem treuen Ernst.

Dear Lotte!  Kiel, 20.7.15
Thank you for your loving letter and card. I can see that you calmed down after the the late arrival of my wirtings. Today we are going for sport exercises again, it is still raining here.
Many heartful greetings from your truthful Ernst

7. Liebe Lotte!  Kiel, d. 27.7.15
Als ich gestern Abend ein wenig an Land spazieren ging traf ich wieder einen alten Bekannten von der Gneisenau. Ich ging mit ihm an Land (das Schiff lag gerade in der Werft) und tauschte alte Erinnerungen aus. Meine gestrige Karte, die ich noch einstecken hatte warf ich auch dort in den Kasten was Du wmgl. auch an dem Stempel sehen wirst.
Sei vielmals herzlich gegrüßt von Deinem treuen Ernst.

Dear Lotte!  Kiel, 27.7.15
Yesterday evening, when I went ashore for a walk I met an old friend from the Gneisenau. I went ashore with him (the ship was in the dockyard) and we swapped old memories. I put yesterdays card, which I still had with me into the postbox there, as you might well see from the stamp. Many affectionate greetings from your truthful Ernst

8.Liebe Lotte! Kiel, d. 14.7.15
Für Deine lieben Brief herzlichen Dank, er hat mir wieder sehr gefallen. Wir bekommen noch immer des Morgens Schleimsuppe. Auch hier sind die Lebensmittel sehr im Preise gestiegen. Butter 1,80 M (for Mark), Leberwurst 1,80 M, Mettwurst 2,60 M, Schinken 2,80 M. etc. Hoffentlich sinken die Preise bald wieder. Sei herzlich gegrüßt von Deinem treuen Ernst

Dear Lotte!  Kiel, d. 14.7.15
Thank you for your loving letter, I like it a lot. In the morning we still get gruel. Here, the prices for food have gone up too, butter 1,80 M, liver sausage 1,80, Mettwurst (salami-type of sausage) 2,60 M, ham 2,80 M etc. I hope the prices will go down soon. Many affectionate greetings from your truthful Ernst

btw: this is interessting, it is only one year into WW I and even the soldiers feel the inflation of food prices

Good stuff again, it's fun to read and translate

Axel

Big A

Set 4

1. Liebe Lotte! Kiel, d.13.8.15
Heute habe ich mal wieder tüchtig zu tun gehabt und zwar habe ich Originalformulare für Hektographieabzüge gemacht und habe jetzt noch ganz blaue Finger obwohl ich sie schon ein paar Mal gewaschen habe- Heute gehts wieder zum Turnen. Sei vielmals herzlich gegrüßt von Deinem treuen Ernst.

Dear Lotte! Kiel, 13.8.15
Today I have been very busy making original forms for hectography and I still have blue fingers although I washed them a few times. - Today we have pysical exercises again. Many affectionate greetings from your truthful Ernst

2.Liebe Lotte! Kiel, d. 6.7.15
Herzlich danke ich Dir für Deine liebe Karte vom 3. d.M. welche mir sehr gefiel. Hoffentlich ist Euer Ausflug gutverlaufen, habt ihr gutes Wetter gehabt? Du teilst mir doch sicher näheres darüber mit, nicht wahr? Schade ist es um unseren Albatros, daß er dort auflaufen mußte. Die Ansicht von dem Schiff hast Du doch auch  nicht wahr? Sei vielmals herzlich gegrüßt von Deinem treuen Ernst.

Dear Lotte!  Kiel, 6.7.15
I do thank you very much for your lovely card which I received onthe 3rd of this month. I hope your leisure trip went well. Did you have good weather? You will wirte more about it, won't you? It is a pity that our Albatros went aground there. You do have the picture from that ship, don't you? Many affectionate greetings from your truthful Ernst

3.Liebe Lotte! Kiel, d. 1.5.15
Von der Beschießung Dünkirchens wirst Du wohl auch gelesen haben. Das haben sich die Engländer wohl nicht träumen lassen, denen werden wohl vor lauter Wonne die Augen tränen. Hoffentlich schreitet es dort oben bei Ypern immer rüstig vorwärts damit wir John Bull bald mal beim Kanthaken kriegen. Sei vielmals herzlich gegrüßt von Deinem treu Dich liebenden Ernst

Dear Lotte! Kiel, 1.5.15
You will have read about the shelling of Dunkerque. The English wouldn't have dreamt of this. Hopefully it is going forward up there at Ypres, so we can put John Bull on the hook. Many affectionate greetings from your truthful Ernst you loves you.

4.Liebe Lotte! Kiel, den 7.8.15
Wieder 40.000 Russen gefangen melden die Zeitungen. Ist das im Verein mit der Einnahme Warschaus nicht eine große Freudenbotschaft? Die Warschauer Bevölkerung soll ja beim Einzuge der Deutschen diesen laut zugejubelt haben. Gott hilft sichtlich. Sei vielmals herzlich gegrüßt von Deinem treuen Ernst.

Dear Lotte! Kiel, 7.8.15
Again 40.000 Russina POWs, according to the newspapers. Together with the conquest ot Warsaw, aren't these cheerful news? The people of Warsaw are said to have applauded wildly when the Germans entered. Obviously, God is helping. Many affectionate greetings from your truthful Ernst

5. Liebe Lotte! Kiel, d. 8.4.15
Herzlichen Dank für Deinen lieben Brief, er hat mich wieder sehr erfreut. Dein 2ter Feiertag ist also sehr schön verlaufen. Ich habe einen längeren Spaziergang längs der Kieler Förde gemacht, leider sind meine Füße etwas naß dabei geworden. und die Schuhe sind aus dem Leim gegangen. Heute habe ich Hauptwache. Es grüßt Dich vielmals herzlich Dein treuer Ernst. Herzl. Grüße an Deine lieben Angehörigen

DearLotte!
Thank you very much for your loving letter, I was again very delighted. So your 2nd holiday went along nicely. I took a longer walk along the Kiel Fjord, unfortunately my feet became wet and my shoes fell apart. Today I am standing main guard. Many affectionate greetings from your truthful Ernst
Many greetings to your dear relatives

6. Liebe Lotte!  Kiel, d. 9.8.15
Gestern hatten wir wieder mal sehr trübes Wetter und habe es deshalb vorgezogen, einen Kientopp aufzusuchen. Es wurden wieder die neuesten Kriegsaufnahmen und ein Drama gegeben. Wie hast Du den Sonntag verlebt mein Lieb? Sei vielmals herzlich gegrüßt von Deinem treuen Ernst.

Dear Lotte!  Kiel, 9.8.15
Yesterday we had cloudy weather again and therefore I preferred to go to the movies. They where playingthe latest warpictures and a drama. How did you pass your Sunday, my dear? Many affectionate greetings from your truthful Ernst

7. Liebe Lotte!  Kiel, d. 25.3.15
Teile Dir mit daß ich am Freitag - Mittag 2.45 so Gott will in Stettin ankomme. Mein Urlaub ist bewilligt. Bis dahin grüßt Dich herzlich Dein treuer Ernst

Dear Lotte!  Kiel, 25.3.15
Just to let you know. am arriving Fryday noon 2.45 at Stettin. My leave has been granted. Till then, many affectionate greeting, your truthful Ernst

8. Liebe Lotte!  Kiel, d. 20.1.15
Deinen lieben Kartenbrief habe ich mit bestem Dank erhalten, er freute mich sehr. Ich werde zu Hause mal anfragen ob sie noch eine Familienkarte haben. Dich vielmals herzlich grüßend bin ich in Treue Dein Ernst

Dear Lotte! Kiel, 20.1.15
Received your loving cardletter with many thanks, I was very delighted. I will ask at home wether they have another family-card. Many affectionate greetings, I am yours truely Ernst.

Hope you like it! Have fun!

Axel

alexfranke

Vielen dank, Axel! I am *very grateful* for your help!! :) :) Do you know if it's possible to modify my original post again? I would like to keep an updated list of links in the first post to make it easier for readers to see them all.

In any case, here are a two more sets... I hope you all enjoy seeing them!

New:
Set 5: 2 Schiffe, 4 Unterseeboot, 2 andere
Set 6: 8 Schiffe

Previously posted:
Set 1: 7 Schiffe, 1 Grafik
Set 2: 6 Schiffe, 1 Grafik, 1 andere
Set 3: 4 Personen, 4 Schiffe (1 duplicate)
Set 4: 8 Schiffe

Big A

So, let's see what is written here in Set 5:

1. Liebe Lotte!  Kiel, den 21.1.15
Anbei wieder ein Kreuzer (? not sure). Wieviel Karten fehlen dir denn noch bis zur Füllung des Albums? Mußt Du auch mal wieder senkrechte Karten haben? Wie ist Dein Befinden? Dich vielmals herzlich grüßend bin ich in Liebe Dein treuer Ernst

Dear Lotte!  Kiel, 21.1.15
Enclosed is another cruiser. How many more cards do you need to fill your album? Do you need some upright cards? How are you? With many affectionate greetings I am your loving truthful Ernst

2. Liebe Lotte!  Kiel den 21.11.14
Damit Du Dir ein Bild von der Größe des kürzlich im Bild übersandten Docks machen kannst sende ich Dir hiermit eine Teilansicht von S.M.S. "Thüringen" welche die Abmessungen gut erkennen läßt. Dich vielmals herzlich grüßend bin ich Dein Dich treu liebender Ernst

Dear Lotte!  Kiel, 21.11.14
Just that you can imagine the size of the dock I recently sent you a picture of, I am sending you a partial view of S.M.S. (HMS) "Thüringen" that shows well the size. Many affectionate greetings from your truthful loving Ernst

3. Liebe Lotte!  Kiel, den 13.12.16
Es hat den Anschein als ob unsere Feinde nicht auf unsere Friedensvorschläge eingehen wollen. Unsere Kriegsführung diesen verbohrten Feinden gegenüber ist jedenfalls noch nicht rücksichtslos genug. Sei vielmals herzlich gegrüßt von Deinem treuen Ernst

Dear Lotte!  Kiel, 21.12.16
It seems that our enemies do not want to accept our peace proposals. Our war conduct against these bullheaded enemies is not ruthless enough. Many affectionate greetings from your truthful Ernst

4. Liebe Lotte!  Kiel, d. 25.10.15
Von dem Untergang des "Prinz Adalbert" wirst Du wohl auch Kunde haben; dieser Verlust von so vielen Menschenleben betrübt mich recht schmerzlich. Hoffentlich gelingt es uns bald der feindlichen Unterseeboote habhaft zu werden. Sei recht herzlich gegrüßt von Deinem treuen Ernst

Dear Lotte!  Kiel, 25.10.15
You will received the news about the sinking of "Prinz Adalbert"; the loss of so many lives touches me quite painfully. I hope that we will soon be able to catch the enemy submarines. Many affectionate greetings from your truthful Ernst

5. Liebe Lotte!  Kiel, d. 20.5.15
Herzlichen Dank für Deine liebe Karte v(om) 18. d.M.  Wie ich Dir schon mitteilte habe ich mich vollständig beruhigt denn ich habe alle Deine lieben Briefschaften erhalten und danke Dir nochmals herzlich hierfür. - Heute habe ich wieder Hauptwache. Es grüßt Dich vielmals herzlich Dein Dich treiu liebender Ernst.

Dear Lotte!  Kiel, 20.5.15
Thank you very much for your lovely card dating 18. (of this month). As I told you before I completely calmed down since I received all your loving letters and I  thank you dearly. - Today, I am on main guard duty again. Many affectionate greetings from your truthful Ernst

6. Liebe Lotte!  Kiel, d. 22.5.15
Das Brot welches Du mir sandtest ist auch noch sehr gut und absolut nicht trocken. Morgen werde ich zur Feier des Tages mich mal an den Aal machen. Wie gefällt Dir diese U-Boot Serie? Sei recht herzlich gegrüßt von Deinem treuen Ernst

Dear Lotte!  Kiel, 22.5.15
The bread you sent me is still very good and by no means dry. Tomorrow I'll celebrate the day by eating the eel. How do you like this u-boat series? Many affectionate greetings from your truthful Ernst

7. Liebe Lotte!  Kiel, den 15.10.15
Heute habe ich mal wieder Wache gerade an meinem Turntage. Das ist mir immer am unangenehmsten. So eine ganze Woche nicht turnen zu können bedeutet für mich immer ein Opfer! Morgen gibt ees wiede eine Choleraauffrischung, hoffentlich bin den Sonntag über nicht krank damit ich Deinen Vetter besuchen kann. Sei recht herzlich gegrüßt von Deinem tr(euen) Ernst

Dear Lotte!  Kiel, 15.10.15
Today I am on guard duty, just on the day of gymnastics. This is most uncomfortable to me. A whole week without gymnastics is always a sacrifice. Tomorrow we will have a refreshing of our cholera-vaccination, I hope I am not sick on Sunday so that I can visit your cousin.  Many affectionate greetings from your truthful Ernst

8. Liebe Lotte!  Kiel, d.19.5.15
Herzlichen Dank für Deinen lieben Brief vom Sonntag. Den Tod Deines l(ieben) Vetters bedauere ich auch sehr - dieser Krieg erfordert große Opfer. Es ist mir leider unmöglich Pfingsten auf Urlaub zu kommen, er wird nur in den dringensten Fällen genehmigt. Es grüßt Dich vielmals herzlich Dein Dich treu liebender Ernst

Dear Lotte!  Kiel, d. 19.5.15
Thank you for your lovely letter from Sunday. I also mourn the daeth of your dear cousin - this war demands great sacrifices. Unfortunately it is impossible to get leave for Pentecost - it is approved only in the most urgent cases. Many affectionate greetings from your truthful loving Ernst

Just a suggestion: Maybe you should sort the cards by date once they are all translated. This would print a very lively and interesting view of the developements of the time and relate them to the progression of the war.

Sometimes it is clear that the cards have been written in a hurry, others were written when your grandfather was obviously not very busy. I think it is marvelous how much he wrote and that - thanks to your efforts of preserving and posting the cars, we in our Forum are able to follow the military (as well as private) live of your granddad. Hopefully there will be more cards to come.

Set 6 translation will follow suite

Axel

Big A

And here is set No. 6:

1. Liebe Lotte!  Kiel, d. 16.6.15
Heute Mittag erlebte ich eine große Überraschung; teilte mir da meine Schwester Amalie mit, dass sie sich am 13.06. verlobt habe, bist Du da nicht auch platt? Über das wie und wo sowie über die Persönlichkeit des Auserwählten läßt sie mich im Unklaren. Sie scheint quitschvergnügt zu sein. Sei vielmals herzlich gegrüßt von Deinem Dich treu liebenden Ernst

Dear Lotte!  Kiel, 16.6.15
This noon I was in for a great surprise; my sister Amalie informed me that she is now engaged, does that strike you, too? Nevertheless she keeps me in the dark about the where and how and about the choosen person. She seems to be completely happy.Many affectionate greetings from your truthful loving Ernst

2. Liebe Lotte!  Kiel, d. 23.8.15
Jetzt ist auch die Festung Ossowitz (?) unser, die sich am nächsten unserer Grenze, am längsten gehalten hat. - In der Bucht von Riga gibts für unsere Flotte jetzt auch tüchtig zu tun, hoffentlich geben sie dem Russen tüchtig eins mit. Wie geht es Dir mein Lieb? Sei herzlich gegrüßt von Deinem treuen Ernst

Dear Lotte! Kiel, 23.8.15
Fort Ossowitz is ours now, it held out longest and closest to our borders. - Our fleet has lots to do in Riga bay, hopefully the hit the Russinas hard. How are you, dear? Many affectionate greetings from your truthful  Ernst

3. Liebe Lotte! Kiel, d. 13.3.15
Bei wird jetzt auch die Brotration immer knapper. Des Morgens gibts statt Brot und Kaffee eine sonderbare Schleimsuppe welche ganz und gar nicht nach meinem Geschmack ist, doch läßt sich das nicht ändern. Es grüßt Dich vielmals herzlich Dein Dich treu liebender Ernst

Dear Lotte! Kiel, 13.3.15
Now even the bread - rations have been shortend. Instead of bread an coffee we get a strange slimy soup in the morning (I think he is talking about soup made from oats, yuks...Axel) that I do not like at all, but we can't change that. Many affectionate greetings from your truthful loving Ernst

4. Liebe Lotte! Kiel, d. 4.3.15
Die meisten von älteren Schiffsansichten konnte ich nicht in der 10 Pf(ennig)) Ausführung bekommen und habe sie deshalb in dieser (5 Pf) Ausführung genommen. Hoffentlich bist Du damit einverstanden, denn die Flotte soll doch vollständig werden, nicht wahr? Es grüßt Dich vielmals herzlich in treuer Liebe Dein Ernst

Dear Lotte!  Kiel, 4.3.15
I could not purcjase the majority of the older views of the ships in the 10 Pf format and therefore I bought them in this ( 5 Pf) format. Hopefully you concur with them, because the fleet should be completed, shouldn't it? Many affectionate greetings from your truthful loving Ernst

5. Liebe Lotte!  Kiel, d. 29.1.15
Dein liebes Paket hat mich sehr überrascht und hoch erfreut, ich danke Dir und Deiner Mutter recht herzlich hierfür, auch für Deine beiliegende Briefkarte danke ich Dir vielmals. Wie soll ich das wieder gut machen? Es grüßt Dich vielmals herzlich Dein tr(euer) Ernst

Dear Lotte!  Kiel, 29.1.15
I was very surprised and highly delighted by your loving package, I thank you and your mother very much, also I thank you for the enclosed card-letter. How can I ever return these favours? Many affectionate greetings from your truthful Ernst

6. Liebe Lotte! Kiel, d. 9.10.15
Eben erfahre ich, Belgrad gefallen. Gott sei Lob und Dank, der mit unseren Waffen ist. Hoffentlich wird die eingeleitete Aktion mit Gott und glücklich durchgeführt, dann ist für uns viel erreicht. Wir haben uns dann eine neue Zufahrtstraße für Lebensmittel etc. gebahnt - Sei vielmals herzlich gegrüßt von Deinem treuen Ernst

Dear Lotte!  Kiel, 9.10.15
I just heard that Belgrade has fallen! Praise and thank the Lord who is with our weapons. Hopefully, the now started action will be completed with the Lord and luck, then much is achieved for our cause. We have built a new  accessory road for food etc. - Many affectionate greetings from your truthful Ernst

7. Liebe Lotte! Kiel, d. 15.5.15
Heute bekam ich einen Brief von meinem Bruder Heinrich in welchem er mir mitteilte, daß er sechs Wochen Urlaub bekommen hat. Seine Frau ist darüber sehr erfreut.- Liebe Lotte, hast Du in dieser Woche auch wieder so viel zu tun? In nächster Woche (grammatically incorrect) werde ich Dir zu Abwechslung mal einige Unterseebootsansichten senden.
Es grüßt Dich herzlich Dein Dich treu liebender Ernst.

Dear Lotte!  Kiel, 15.5.15
Today I received a letter from my brother Heinrich in which he told me that he was granted 6 Weeks of leave. His wife is very delighted. Dear Lotte, do you have to work so much again this week? Next week I'll send a few views of submarines for a change. Many affectionate greetings from your truthful loving Ernst

8. Liebe Lotte!  Kiel, d. 19.2.15
Anbei eine Ansicht unsere Unterseeboothebeschiffes "Vulkan". Diese Fahrzeug ist auch beim Vulkan (he is referring to the Vulkan - dockyards) Stettin gebaut.- Die Zahl der Gefangenen im Osten hat sich ja sehr erhöht, also ein glänzender Sieg. - Wie ist Dein Befinden liebe Lotte? Es grüßt Dich vielmals herzlich Dein treuer Ernst
Herzl. Gr. an D. l. Angeh. (Herzliche Grüße an deine lieben Angehörigen)

Dear Lotte! Kiel, 19.2.15
Enclosed is a view of our submarine salvage vessel "Vulkan". This vessel has been built by Vulkan Stettin. - The number of prisoners in the east has risen dramatically, so it is a glorious victory. - How are you, dear Lotte? Many affectionate greetings from your truthful Ernst
Best regards to your dear relatives

That's great stuff, I like the change between private notes and comments about the course of war. And btw, food in the Navy has improved dramatically since then, I know, because part of my job is to organize training for ship cooks :wink:

Axel

Dimitris Galon

@ Alexfranke

Dear Alex,
I am looking for a photo of Kapitänleutnant Waldemar Kophamel.
Do you have any in your collection? If yes, could you please inform me?
Thanks in advance
DG

Impressum & Datenschutzerklärung